Second Half Lifts Women's Lax To Win At No. 14 Georgetown

March 26, 2014

Final Stats

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The No. 15 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team scored the last five goals of the game while holding No. 14 Georgetown scoreless through the last 26 minutes of play to earn an 8-5 victory on a cold and windy Wednesday evening at Multi-Sport Field.

Junior Annie Thomas led all players with three points on two goals and one assist, while senior Marlee Paton and junior Hannah Schmitt had two goals for Loyola (7-4, 3-0 Patriot League). Juniors Kara Burke and Taryn VanThof each tacked on one score each and classmate Molly Hulseman added an assist.

For Georgetown (3-5, 0-0 BIG EAST), Kelyn Freedman had two points on one goal and one assist, while Corinne Etchison, Hannah Franklin, Colleen Lovett and Carolina Tarzian had one goal.

After almost 10 minutes of scoreless action at the beginning of the game, the Hoyas netted back-to-back free-position goals at 20:33 and 18:55 to take a 2-0 lead, before Paton converted a free-position shot for the Greyhounds at 16:27. Burke then knotted the score at two with a goal at 13:58.

Georgetown responded with two-straight goals within one minute to extend its lead back to two, 4-2, at 11:54, before a Schmitt goal at 10:43 pulled Loyola within one, which held through halftime.

Franklin scored the lone goal for Georgetown in the second half at 26:29. Senior Ali Habicht won the ensuing draw control and passed ahead to Hulseman who found Thomas for the goal 17 seconds later. Thomas then assisted Paton at 21:46 to tie the game at five.

Thomas gave the Greyhounds their first lead of the day with 20:50 to play, before a goal from VanThof at 15:24 put Loyola ahead, 7-5. Schmitt capped off the scoring in the game with a goal with nine seconds remaining to account for the final 8-5 score.

Sophomore Maddy Lesher and VanThof led the defense with three caused turnovers, while Vanthof, Paton and sophomore goalkeeper Molly Wolf had three ground balls each. Wolf also finished with a game-high seven saves.

The Greyhounds will return to action on Saturday when it hosts Holy Cross at 1 p.m.