Thomas Scores OT Winner For Women's Lax At #13 Hoyas

March 24, 2012

Final Stats

Photo Gallery

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Freshman Annie Thomas scored the game-winning goal with 37 seconds left in overtime to lead the No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse team to a 15-14 victory at No. 13 Georgetown Saturday afternoon. The game was the BIG EAST opener for the Greyhounds, while the win moves Loyola to 5-3 on the season and 1-0 in the league. Georgetown falls to 4-4 overall and 1-1 in the BIG EAST.

Freshman Sydney Thomas tied a career-high four goals to lead Loyola, while sophomore Marlee Paton and freshman Hannah Schmitt each contributed three goals. Annie Thomas scored two – including the game winner – while juniors Cassandra Cursaro and Joanna Dalton, in addition to freshman Molly Hulseman, each added one goal. Paton and Annie Thomas both tacked on an assist.

For Georgetown, Caroline Tarzian and Sophia Thomas had four goals each, while Dina Jackson and Kelyn Freedman contributed two.

The game was the third overtime game played between the two rivals at Multi-Sport Field since 2006, with the Hoyas earning a 9-8 win in 2006 and a 13-12 decision in 2010.

In addition, Loyola’s victory marks its second over Georgetown since the Greyhounds joined the BIG EAST, while it is also the first time Loyola has been victorious in Washington, D.C., since 1979.

The first half was streaky with both teams scoring quick goals. Georgetown recorded the first goal after a shot ricocheted off senior goalkeeper Kerry Stoothoff’s shoulder and into the net. Schmitt won the ensuing draw control though and ran it all the way down the field, scoring 10 seconds after the Hoyas’ goal and knotting the score at 1-1 with 28:57 on the clock.

Paton then gave Loyola its first lead at 24:33, but Georgetown scored 21 seconds later to even the score for a second time.

Back-to-back man-up goals within 20 seconds for the Hoyas gave Georgetown a 4-2 advantage with 21:02 to play.

Loyola answered at the 18:14 mark though, when Annie Thomas ran around the left side of the goal and fired a shot into the top corner of the net. Schmitt then converted a free position shot at 15:50 to tie the game at four.

Georgetown regained its lead briefly, with a goal 13 seconds later, but the Greyhounds would tally their second score in 38 seconds to even the game for a fourth time, at 5-5, with 15:12 to play in the half.

The Hoyas rallied for two-straight goals within 34 seconds to take a 7-5 lead with 11:48 on the clock, but the Greyhounds found the back of the net twice within one minute to bring the game back to an even 7-7 score. Hulseman split defenders and stuck a shot into the top corner for the first score at 10:35, before Sydney Thomas fired her second goal of the half at 9:41.

Another Loyola goal at 7:20 – from Paton – gave the Greyhounds their first lead since the beginning of the game, 8-7, but Georgetown was able to even it up for the sixth time with a goal at 4:30.

Georgetown stuck a second-straight goal into the back of the net with 2:44 remaining in the half, before Loyola was able to find its answer on a free position shot – scored by Cursaro – with 43.9 seconds left.

Stoothoff then stopped two point-blank shots in the final 30 seconds of the half to keep the score tied at nine heading into halftime.

Out of the break, the Hoyas scored two goals by the 23:22 mark to take an 11-9 advantage, but Loyola was able to even the score at 11 with 18:29 to go. Sydney Thomas scored first at 21:40, before Dalton fired a pass from Annie Thomas into the back of the net for her first goal of the game.

The next six-and-a-half minutes remained scoreless, before the Hoyas broke the stalemate with a goal at 11:41.

Following another five minutes of scoreless action, senior Kellye Gallagher intercepted a pass and sent the ball into the Greyhounds’ offensive end, in which Paton assisted Sydney Thomas at 5:55 to even the score for a ninth time at 12 all.

Junior Kathleen Barranco won the ensuing draw control and Paton gave the Greyhounds the lead, 13-12, with a goal at 5:29. Schmitt then controlled the next draw and converted a free position shot 10 seconds later to give Loyola its largest lead of the game.

The goals weren’t enough to fight off the Hoyas though, as they scored at 1:27 to pull within one and then snuck a shot into the cage with 26 seconds remaining to force overtime.

With 37 seconds left in overtime, Annie Thomas took the ball from behind the goal and rolled the crease, before sneaking a shot past Barb Black to give Loyola a 15-14 lead.

Georgetown won the ensuing draw and looked to equalize the score for an 11th time, but Stoothoff came up with a huge save with just 17 seconds left and ran out the clock, as Loyola held on for the victory.

Defensively, Gallagher led the way with three ground balls and two caused turnovers. Stoothoff also added three ground balls, while Sydney Thomas had two ground balls and two caused turnovers and senior Ana Heneberry had two ground balls.

Barranco finished the game with a career-high four draw controls.

In goal, Stoothoff recorded her 17th career 10-save game, turning back 11 shots. For Georgetown, Black earned seven saves.

Loyola will return to action on Friday when it hosts Cincinnati at Ridley Athletic Complex. Opening draw is slated for 7 p.m.