JMU Forces Overtime And Earns 9-8 Win Over Women's Lacrosse

March 16, 2013

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - The No. 11 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gave up two last-minute goals Saturday afternoon en route to a 9-8 overtime loss to James Madison at Ridley Athletic Complex. Amy Roguski scored with 15 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime and Ali Curwin scored the game-winner for the Dukes with nine seconds left in overtime.

Redshirt sophomore Taryn VanThof led the Greyhounds (2-5 overall) with three points on two goals and one assist, while senior Joanna Dalton and sophomore Kara Burke each contributed two scores. Junior Marlee Paton tacked on one goal and one assist, while sophomore Annie Thomas rounded out the scoring with one assist.

For James Madison (5-1), Casey Ancarrow, Curwin and Roguski each had two goals, while Steph Finley and Taylor Gress added one each.

The Greyhounds controlled the first half, scattering four goals throughout the period, while the defense held a team scoreless in a half for the first time since the 2009 season.

VanThof gave up a free position opportunity at 22:23, passing to Burke, who found the back of the net for the game's first goal. One minute later, Burke tacked on a second-straight score, assisted by Schmitt, to give Loyola a 2-0 lead.

Dalton then converted a free position shot at 18:17, before Barranco notched her first goal of the year at 2:03, giving the Greyhounds a 4-0 lead at the break.

James Madison stormed back at the beginning of the second half though, tallying three goals in a two-minute span to pull within one, 4-3, at 26:38.

VanThof initially halted the Dukes' comeback, slipping between her defender and the crease before sending a diving shot into the back of the net at 25:16. James Madison was able to capitalized on a failed clear attempt though, sending a shot into an open net, before tallying two more goals after a goal from Paton, assisted by Annie Thomas, to bring the score to 6-6 at 12:09.

Dalton's free position goal at 6:31 kept the Greyhounds on top, but the Dukes were able to slip a goal into the back of the net with 15 seconds left in regulation to force overtime.

James Madison scored in the first three-minute overtime period to take its first lead of the game with 4:10 remaining to play, but VanThof won the draw control to open the second three-minute period and scored with two minutes remaining, knotting the score at eight.

The Greyhounds won the ensuing draw control, but the Dukes took advantage of a turnover and found the back of the net for the game-winning goal with 9.1 seconds remaining.

Defensively, Wolf stopped eight shots for the Greyhounds, including six in the first half, and had a team-high three ground balls.

Redshirt sophomore Gretchen Mayer, making her first collegiate start, finished the game with two ground balls and freshman Katrina Geiger had a game-high two caused turnovers.

Loyola will be back in action on Friday, March 22 when it opens BIG EAST play. The Greyhounds will host Louisville at Ridley Athletic Complex at 6 p.m.