Rehfuss Tallies Eight Points As 10 Score in BIG EAST Win For Loyola

March 15, 2008

Box Score

BALTIMORE - Abby Rehfuss scored four goals, leading 10 Loyola players that scored goals, as the Greyhounds defeated Connecticut, 21-15, in a BIG EAST Conference game on Saturday afternoon at Diane Geppi-AIkens Field.

The 21-goal tally was the most in a conference game by a Loyola team in its three years of BIG EAST competition. It was also the most goals scored by the Greyhounds (3-5 overall, 1-2 BIG EAST) since May 1, 2002, when the Greyhounds posted a 25-4 victory over American.

The 36 combined goals set a BIG EAST Conference record for goals by both teams in a conference game, eclipsing the 33 scored by Georgetown (23) and Rutgers (10) on April 14, 2002.

"We were pleased about the number of people that scored today," Head Coach Kerri O'Day said. "We want to have a balanced scoring attack, and we accomplished that today by getting goals form 10 different people."

In addition to Rehfuss' four scores, Alicyn Brunnett and Cara Filippelli each scored three. Brunnett and Rehfuss matched their previous career-highs, while the game was Filippelli's first multi-goal effort.

Kate Filippelli, Elizabeth Weber and Mary Clare Taylor each scored twice. Taylor's goals were the first two of her collegiate career.

Loyola had assists on 10 of their goals, led by a career-high four from Rehfuss.

Despite the scoring accolades, it was an improved defensive effort in the game's final 14 minutes that lifted Loyola to the win.

Connecticut (0-5, 0-1) rallied from a three-goal halftime deficit, tying the score at 8-8, three minutes into the second half.

Katy Ryan, who led all players with seven goals, scored 1:43 into the second half, and after a Leah Giffin goal, Ryan scored off a Loyola turnover at the 27:00 mark.

After a Greyhounds timeout, Rehfuss won the draw, and Colleen O'Keefe fed Cara Filippelli, who scored the go-ahead goal.

O'Keefe then pulled the ensuing draw control out of a group of players, turned and raced to goal, beating Huskies goalkeeper Jenna Moulton.

After Kim McGinty scored for Connecticut, Cara Filippelli took a pass from Rehfuss and tallied a goal for the Greyhounds with 22:09 remaining. The Huskies, however, pulled to within one, 11-10, on another Ryan goal with 19:58 left.

Brunnett pushed Loyola's advantage back to two, 12-10, on a free-position score four minutes later, and after Mary Heneberry won the ensuing draw, Rehfuss scored with 15:12 remaining.

Ryan tallied another goal just over a minute later, closing the gap to 13-11 in the Greyhounds' favor, but Loyola's defense and effort on the draw control circle helped put away the game.

Bridget O'Keefe scored off an assist by Kate Filippelli, and Filippelli scored herself, assisted by Brunnett. Gavin then tallied a third goal in a minute of time off the clock, giving Loyola a 16-11 advantage.

Connecticut scored twice over a 39-second stretch, as Katie Devaney and Whitney Michele pulled the Huskies within three, 16-13, with 9:12 left on the clock.

Heneberry crossed the goal from right to left and fired a shot over Moulton's shoulder, and Rehfuss found the side of the net on a free-position shot to put Loyola ahead, 18-13.

Elizabeth Weber then took a pass from Rehfuss and scored with 3:46 remaining before Cara Filippelli scored her third goal of the afternoon with 2:55 left.

Michele and Lauren Sparks scored for the Huskies before Rehfuss' below-the-waist shot went in for the final goal of the afternoon.

Loyola outshot Connecticut, 42-27, and held a 23-15 advantage in draw controls. The Greyhounds also had 25 ground balls, holding the Huskies to just 12.

Kate and Cara Filippelli and Grave Gavin each had four draw controls for Loyola. The totals were seasons highs for the Filippelli sisters. Kate Filippelli and Rehfuss each had three ground balls.

Kristen Stone caused four turnovers and had three ground balls for the Greyhounds.

Meg Steffe made six saves in goal for the Greyhounds, while Moulton had nine for Connecticut.

Loyola continues BIG EAST action on Saturday, March 22, when it travels to South Bend, Ind., to face Notre Dame at 1 p.m.