Blue Hens Escape With 10-9 Win Over Women's Lacrosse

March 13, 2013

Final Stats

NEWARK, Del. - The No. 11 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team came-from-behind to take a one-goal lead late in the game Wednesday night, but it was unable to hold on as Delaware escaped with a 10-9 win over the Greyhounds at Delaware Stadium.

Senior Joanna Dalton and sophomore Annie Thomas finished with two goals each for Loyola (2-4 overall), while junior Marlee Paton had one goal and one assist. Sophomore Sydney Thomas dished out two assists and sophomores Kara Burke, Molly Hulseman, Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof rounded out the scoring with one goal each.

For Delaware (4-3), McKenzie Rafferty led the way with a game-high three goals, while Chelsea Fay and Abbie Hartman each chipped in two goals.

It was the slowest start of the season for the Greyhounds, as it wasn't until the 17:21 mark that Dalton was able to get Loyola on the board, but the Greyhounds' defense held the Blue Hens to just one goal in that period, from Rafferty at 27:10.

Delaware was able to regain its lead, 2-1, just 11 seconds after Dalton's goal, but Hulseman and Paton each notched scores at 16:24 and 11:42, respectively, to give Loyola its first lead of the game, 3-2.

The lead would only last for two minutes though, as Delaware evened the score with 9:43 on the clock, where the score would remain until the 26:34 mark of the second half, when Dattellas converted a free position shot to push the Hens ahead one again, 4-3.

Delaware then took its first two-goal lead of the game at 25:29 and with a second-straight goal from Fay, the Blue Hens had a 6-3 advantage with 24:14 to play.

Loyola snapped Delaware's four-goal run at 23:35, when Sydney Thomas gave up a free position attempt and assisted Annie Thomas instead, marking the Greyhounds' first goal of the half.

Delaware halted Loyola's run with a score at the 18-minute mark, but the Greyhounds responded for five of the next six goals to take their first lead of the second half at 9-8. VanThof and Dalton both converted free position shots before a Blue Hen goal at 15:15. Dalton's goal was the 50th of her career.

Burke then converted another free position shot before a goal from Schmitt, assisted by Sydney Thomas, evened the score at eight. Annie Thomas then gave the Greyhounds their first lead of the second half when she snuck around the back of the goal and slipped a shot past Alex Zaugra at the 6:13 mark.

Delaware knotted the score at 4:49 and then won the ensuing draw control, which it turned into an open-net goal when freshman goalkeeper Molly Wolf attempted to intercept a pass, but Hartman capitalized on the play instead.

The Blue Hens looked to have control of the game after that, but VanThof caused a turnover with 34 seconds remaining and Annie Thomas drew a foul in the arc, setting up a free position attempt with three seconds remaining. Thomas' shot was blocked though and the Blue Hens escaped with the 10-9 victory.

VanThof led the defense with three caused turnovers, two ground balls and four draw controls, while freshman Katrina Geiger scooped up two ground balls and added two caused turnovers.

Loyola will be back in action on Saturday when it hosts James Madison in a 1 p.m., contest at Ridley Athletic Complex.