Women's Lacrosse Rallies From Four Down To Beat 18th-Ranked Towson, 15-12

March 7, 2009

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

TOWSON, Md. - Elizabeth Weber and Abby Rehfuss each scored three, leading nine Loyola players who scored goals, as the Greyhounds rallied from a four-goal deficit to defeat 18th-ranked Towson, 15-12, Saturday afternoon at Unitas Stadium.

The Greyhounds (3-1 overall) used a balanced scoring attack in the second half as seven players scored for Loyola after the break. Down 8-4 with just over a minute left in the first half, Loyola scored 11 of the final 15 goals.

"Our depth on offense is a huge asset for us," Greyhounds Head Coach Jen Adams said. "To not just have one or two players who can score, but to have seven at any given time makes us tough to defend and scout."

Turnovers played a role in Loyola's slow start. The Greyhounds gave the ball away 14 times before halftime, while Towson had only eight turnovers.

"It has been a long spring break for us after we had the game cancelled," Adams said, referring to the Greyhounds' game on Wednesday at Delaware that was postponed due to field conditions. "It took us some time to get readjusted to game speed, but the second half we witnessed the type of lacrosse we have played this year against a very, very solid Towson team."

Weber scored on the Greyhounds' first possession of the second half off a Grace Gavin feed, pulling Loyola within a pair, 8-6.

Meggie McNamara, however, answered for Towson (2-1). She took a Hillary Fratzke pass and deposited her first of three second-half goals into the cage, putting the Tigers back up by three.

Loyola then reeled off four unanswered goals - by Emily Gibson, Mary Heneberry, Maura Kenny and Colleen O'Keefe - in just under five minutes.

O'Keefe's goal, scored after she took a pass from Gibson and sliced across the face of the goal, gave Loyola a 10-9 advantage with 17:30 left on the clock.

Towson rallied with two goals by McNamara to pull back in front, 11-10, at the 15:59 mark.

Gavin intercepted a Tigers clearing pass and fed Weber near the cage. Weber used a multiple-shot fake to beat Towson goalkeeper Mary Teeters for her third goal of the game.

"Our depth on offense is a huge asset for us. To not just have one or two players who can score, but to have seven at any given time makes us tough to defend and scout."
Loyola Head Coach Jen Adams

With the game tied at 11, Gavin scored with 10:26 left to put Loyola ahead for good. Gibson tallied a free-position goal to put Loyola up 13-11 before Britt Woodfield scored her game-high fourth goal for Towson, making it a one-goal game with just under nine minutes left.

Heneberry and Filippelli scored game-sealing goals in the final seven minutes to provide the final margin of victory.

Loyola outshot Towson, 18-9, in the second half, and the Greyhounds changed the turnover battle after the break. They forced 15 Tigers' turnovers and committed only eight themselves in the second stanza.

Towson was able to successfully clear the ball three out of 10 times in the second half.

Abby Rehfuss scored three first-half goals for Loyola.

"We came out in the second half more focused on what we were doing, rather than counteracting what Towson did," Adams said. "We wanted to limit our fouls on the defensive end because they are so good on the 8-meter. We played more poised and controlled on defense."

Gavin led the Greyhounds with three caused turnovers, while Heneberry, Gibson and Kaitlyn Fuller each had three ground balls.

Weber scored the first goal of the game, wrapping around the goal from the left side. Fratzke and Woodfield responded for the Tigers, giving them a 2-1 lead less than five minutes in.

Rehfuss scored two in a row in just over a minute to give Loyola a 3-2 lead, but Towson responded by scoring three in a row.

Rehfuss tallied her third first-half goal at the 15:12 mark to pull within one, but the Tigers went on another 3-0 run to take an 8-4 lead with 2:23 left before halftime.

Mary Heneberry picked off a clearing pass from Teeters and fed Meg Taylor who scored with 1:24 left to pull the Greyhounds within three, 8-5, at the half.

Loyola takes eight days off before returning to Diane Geppi-Aikens Field for a 12 p.m. home game against Davidson on Sunday, March 15.