UMBC Edges Women's Lacrosse, 11-10

Feb. 26, 2008

Box Score

CATONSVILLE, Md. - Loyola had five shots to tie the game after UMBC took an 11-10 lead with just over five minutes to play, but the Retrievers held off the comeback attempt for a non-conference win on Tuesday night.

The Retrievers (1-2) took a one-goal lead with 5:17 to play on a free-position goal by Ali Levendusky.

Alicyn Brunnett won the ensuing draw control for Loyola (1-3), and after running the offense, Kate Fillippelli's shot slipped wide with 4:29 remaining.

UMBC took possession of the ball and attempted to run down the clock through a stall, but Meg Taylor caused a Levendusky turnover, and Kristen Stone picked up the loose ball with 3:09 left in the game.

Filippelli took another shot that bounced high and over the goal, and the Retrievers regained possession.

With UMBC attempting to stall again, Taylor took the ball away from another Retrievers player, Ashley Stodter, with 46 seconds remaining.

Taylor took the ground ball and passed up field. Colleen O'Keefe took a hard shot, but it ricocheted off the post and out of bounds.

Loyola kept possession, and following a foul on UMBC's Kara Dorr, Elizabeth Weber's free-position shot was saved by Susie Sweeney.

Emily Gibson collected the rebound and shot with two seconds left, but her shot went wide left.

Loyola went ahead 2-0 less than four minutes into the game on goals by O'Keefe and Brunnett, but the it would be the Greyhounds only lead of the game. UMBC scored three in a row to take a 3-2 lead.

Following a Taylor caused turnover, Weber drew a free-position shot and scored the first of her career-high three goals with 20:13 to play in the first half.

UMBC, however, scored the next two goals to go ahead, 5-3. The Greyhounds got a goal back as Sweeney scored an `own goal' by pushing the ball into the Loyola goal.

After Levendusky scored for the Retrievers, Weber and Taylor scored on transition opportunities to knot the score at 6-6 at halftime.

Abbey Swift broke the tie for UMBC 34 seconds into the second half, but Weber put a shot into the upper-right corner of the goal four minutes later to tie the game at 7-7.

UMBC scored the next two goals, but Filippelli pulled Loyola within one, 9-8, as she used a shot fake to draw a defender, then beat Sweeney.

The Retrievers stalled for four minutes before scoring to take a 10-8 lead with 15:13 remaining.

Three minutes later, Grace Gavin picked up a ground ball, found Megan Joines in transition, and Joines fed O'Keefe for her second goal of the game.

Loyola won the ensuing draw, and Brunnett drew a free-position attempt. She chose not to shoot and passed to O'Keefe behind the goal. O'Keefe then fed Brunett, cutting to the goal, who scored her second goal and tied the game at 10-10.

Weber scored three for Loyola, which outshot UMBC, 35-32. O'Keefe and Brunnett each added two goals.

Taylor led all players with a career-high four caused turnovers and had a team-best four ground balls.

Meg Steffe had a career-high 11 saves for Loyola, while Sweeney made 14 saves.

Loyola continues non-conference action on Saturday, March 1, 2008, at 11 a.m., when they play their home opener against Towson on Diane Geppi-Aikens Field. The game will be broadcast on a tape-delay basis by the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN).