O'Keefe Scores Four, Greyhounds Defeat Davidson

Feb. 17, 2008

Box Score

DAVIDSON, N.C. - Colleen O'Keefe scored four goals, and two other Loyola players found the net three times, as the Greyhounds defeated host Davidson, 20-9, Sunday afternoon at Richardson Stadium.

Loyola (1-1 overall) took an 8-2 lead lead in the first 23 minutes of the game, as Kate Filippelli, Alicyn Brunnett and O'Keefe each scored twice.

"We were able to work today on our transition game today," Head Coach Kerri O'Day said. "We fed the ball well and worked well when we had possession, too."

Kate Filippelli scored the first goal for the second game in a row, taking a pass from Abby Rehfuss and beating Wildcats' goalkeeper Laura Johnson 26 seconds into the game.

O'Keefe made it a 2-0 game 4:08 into the game on a free-position shot, and Filippelli scored again, this time unassisted, 1:09 later.

Davidson's Emily Diefendorf took the ensuing draw control and scored the Wildcats first goal, but Grace Gavin won the next draw and found Filippelli, who then fed a pass to Brunnett for a goal.

Rehfuss was awarded a free-position shot less than a minute later. Her shot deflected off the cross bar, but she picked up the ground ball and scored on the rebound with 23:05 to play, giving the Greyhounds a 5-1 lead.

Brunnett scored her second goal on a free-position shot before Davidson's Jen Crawford scored to pull the Wildcats within four, 6-2, with 20:18 left before halftime. The teams went scoreless for almost six minutes from that point before Bridget O'Keefe took a pass from Emily Gibson and found the goal.

Seven minutes later, Colleen O'Keefe scored her second goal on an assist from Caroline Hager.

Davidson (1-1) scored two in a row, but Rehfuss and Filippelli each scored in the final three minutes of the fire half to give the Greyhounds a 10-4 halftime advantage.

The Wildcats scored the first three goals after the break to pull within three, 10-7, but following a Greyhounds timeout, Gibson won the draw control, and Cara Filippelli assisted on a Mary Heneberry goal to put Loyola ahead by four.

Colleen O'Keefe scored on a free-position shot, Gibson tallied a goal, and Elizabeth Weber made a free-position shot to put the Greyhounds back up by six.

After another Davidson goal, Weber scored again, followed by tallies by Gavin, Gibson, Colleen O'Keefe and Rehfuss. Loyola scored an `own goal' with just over two minutes left after a Wildcats player knocked the ball into the goal.

Meg Steffe finished with seven saves in goal for Loyola.

In addition to Colleen O'Keefe's four goals, Filippelli added three goals and two assists, and Rehfuss scored three times and had an assist. Weber, Brunnett and Gibson all scored twice for Loyola.

Loyola won 22 of 31 draw controls in the game. Gavin had six draw controls, and Gibson recorded three.

"Possession was huge for us," O'Day said. "Grace Gavin and Emily Gibson did a great job of directing the ball and picking it up themselves. Possession is such a huge part of the game, and it played a big role today."

The Greyhounds finished with a split on their trip to the Tar Heel State. They lost 13-9 on Friday night at North Carolina.

"We played a high tempo game in both games," O'Day said. "We made mistakes, but we covered for each other. We played a good team game both days. We did a good job of scoring early (Loyola scored first in both games), and we played at a fast tempo, which is what we are looking to do this year."

The Greyhounds open BIG EAST Conference play on Saturday, February 23, with a 3 p.m. game at Georgetown.