Mount Withstands Loyola Rally In Women's Basketball Action

Dec. 10, 2011

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Katie Sheahin scored a 15 of her game-high 19 points during the second half, as Loyola University Maryland rallied from a nine-point hole to take multiple second-half leads, but Mount St. Mary's University held off the Greyhounds, 59-54, in non-conference action.

The Mountaineers (5-4) went up by nine on their second possession of the second half when Ashley Christie made a 3-poitner from the wing. Nicole Krusen, however, responded in kind for the Greyhounds just over a minute later.

Loyola (3-5) cut the advantage to four, 27-23, with 15:07 to play in the half on a fast-break layup by Krusen off a Nneka Offodile steal and Krusen assist.

Sydney Henderson made a driving layup in the paint for Mount St. Mary's with 14:40 to put its lead back to six, but Kara Marshall hit a pair of free throws for the Greyhounds to make it a four-point game with 14:26 on the clock.

A missed Henderson three and a Tara Lonergan turnover for Mount St. Mary's led to Steph Smith making two from the charity stripe for Loyola at 13:13.

Sandra Andresson missed a jumper on the offensive end, and Cierra Darden pulled down the rebound for Loyola. In transition, Marshall kicked a pass to Krusen on the left side, and the sophomore nailed another three with 12:37 left, giving Loyola it's first lead, 30-29.

Rachel Matthews quickly gave The Mount another lead, and Andresson extended it to three with a bucket at 11:35.

A Sheahin fast-break layup cut it back to 33-32 just 13 ticks of the clock later, but neither team could score for the next 2:30.

Nai Brown snapped the scoreless stretch, catching a Sutherland feed and scoring at 7:52 to put Loyola back on top.

Christie, however, answered with a jumper for The Mount, and Jessie Kaufman made a three from the top of the perimeter. Henderson made 1-of-2 at the line, and Mount's lead was back to five with slight more than 6:30 remaining.

The teams traded baskets for the next several possessions before Offodile made 1-of-2 at the free-throw line to pull the Greyhounds within two, 43-41, with 2:51 on the clock.

The Mountaineers scored the next six points, the first four coming when Christie made a three from the corner in front of The Mount bench with the shot-clock expiring. She was fouled and made the ensuing free throw with 2:22 left.

Loyola got to within two possessions, 58-54, with eight ticks left, but the Greyhounds could draw no closer.

Sheahin was the only Loyola player in double-figures, while Offodile and Marshall each scored nine, and Krusen had eight. Sheain, Offodile and Smith all finished with eight rebounds.

Christie led The Mount with 14 point, and Sleina Mann had 10, including 8-of-8 from the free-throw line.

Loyola takes the next eight days off for final exams before continuing play on Sunday, December 18, at 2 o'clock in Washington, D.C., at George Washington University.