Greyhounds Fall Short Late in Second Half Against Bucknell

Nov. 24, 2009

LEWISBURG, Pa. - A late surge nearly had Loyola testing the waters of overtime for the first time this season, Tuesday night. But the rally came too late, as the Greyhounds (2-3) fell 67-60 to Bucknell, at Sojka Pavilion in Lewisburg, Pa.

Kaitlin Grant and Erica DiClemente led the team with 16 and 15 points each, and Miriam McKenzie picked up her third double-double in five games with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Four players turned in double-digit performances for the Bison (2-3), with Morgan Wrightson's 19 leading the way. Joyce Novacek had 15 and tied McKenzie for a game-high 10 boards.

Loyola shot 44.9 percent from the field and 52 percent from the line, with Grant providing the bulk of the points from the stripe. Grant netted eight of Loyola's 13 free throws in 10 of the `Hounds' 25 attempts.

The two teams played close throughout the first half. Loyola's defense held tough, holding the Bison to a 35.5 percent mark from the field and allowing just one three, while shooting 45.5 percent.

Trailing by just one at half time, the second half looked to shaping up much like the first after both teams were strong out of the gate.

After Trisha Krewson hit a three to break a 25-25 tie, Alyssa Dunn knocked down a free throw and Novacek netted a layup to finally give the Bison more than a three-point lead. But McKenzie followed suit with a layup of her own. Novacek hit another layup but Tolley swished a long jumper in for a three to cut the lead back to three. A free throw by Devon Carey put the `Hounds' just two points away from trying the game back up.

Loyola kept battling back but Bucknell began to pull away. And as the clock began to wind down mistakes on the Greyhounds' end proved costly. Turnovers became problematic, and everyone except Grant went cold at the line.

Grant went to the line four times within a span of three minutes at the end of the game, knocking down seven in a row in seven attempts before DiClemente finally got a jumper in.

The Greyhounds were successfully chipping away at the lead with a little over two minutes to go when Rachel Voss suddenly got hot. Neglecting to cover the tall guard, Voss made the most of her opportunities, hitting every open she had, effectively lifting her team out of reach of the Greyhounds.

The Greyhounds will continue their six-game road stand in Emmitsburg, Md., Saturday, with an afternoon contest against Mount St. Mary's.