Marist Pulls Away From Women's Basketball, 70-60

Feb. 19, 2010

Box Score

Baltimore, Md. - Loyola connected for a season-high 12 three-pointers but still fell short against Marist, Friday night at Reitz Arena, as the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference's top team came through with a 70-60 win.

Katie Sheahin made it a career night with 16 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and three steals. Her 16 points and three blocks set new career-bests for the freshman guard, while, her eight boards tied her previous high mark. Erica DiClemente also tied her career-high with 19 points for the second game in a row. Meredith Tolley added in 12.

Marist (21-6, 13-2 MAAC) was led by Corielle Yarde's 20 points and seven rebounds. Rachele Fitz recorded 15 points, a game-high nine rebounds, two blocks and a steal. Erica Allenspach and Brandy Gang each added 13 and 10.

The Greyhounds (11-15, 6-9 MAAC) came out of the gate defending hard and were able to hold the Red Foxes to just a bucket through the first five minutes. But Loyola managed just two threes and Marist soon came back to tie, and took an 8-6 lead at 12:18.

After Sheahin hit a jumper from the top to tie the game at 10-all, the Red Foxes again came back, building a seven-point lead with just over eight minutes left in the half.

Sheahin once again took control a few minutes later, scoring eight points over the next five minutes. A steal and a fastbreak layup cut Marist's lead to 21-18 and started a run that pulled Loyola up to within two (25-23) with 3:12 on the clock.

Loyola went into the locker room at halftime trailing by just six, 29-23.

Marist scored two to open the half, but Loyola followed up with back-to-back treys by DiClemente and Tolley, making the score 31-29. Marist soon pulled ahead by 10 but Loyola came right back, cutting the lead to just two points.

Marist held the advantage as the `Hounds continued to play close. The two went shot-for-shot throughout most of the second half, with Loyola coming back to within two points several times until late in the game. With just two minutes left, the Red Foxes finally broke through with a 15-7 run, pushing the game out of reach for the Greyhounds.