Women's Basketball Falls To Lehigh On 3-Pointer In Final Seconds

Feb. 8, 2014

Final Stats
Photo Gallery

BALTIMORE - Lehigh hit a 3-pointer with three less than six seconds remaining to escape Reitz Arena with a 50-47 victory over the Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team Saturday afternoon.

Freshman Lisa Mirarchi paced the Greyhounds (5-18, 2-10 Patriot League) with nine points and seven rebounds, while Tiffany Padgett, Nai Brown and Jeneh Perry each added eight points apiece.

Loyola outshot the Mountain Hawks 31-27 percent, while Lehigh held a 52-32 advantage in rebounds.

In the first three minutes of action, neither team found offensive momentum, as the Greyhounds and Mountain Hawks combined for 0-for-8 from the floor. Freshman Lauren Daugherty scored the first two points of the contest, going 2-2 from the charity stripe with 16:47 remaining in the first half.

Lehigh (11-11, 4-7 PL) took the lead on a Sarah Williams jumper from behind the arc, 4-2, maintaining the advantage for over eight minutes.

During Loyola's second fast break of the half, Mirarchi gave the Greyhounds a one-point advantage, 18-17, before the Mountain Hawks countered with their own jumper, 19-18.  Padgett put the Greyhounds back on top moments later with a pair of free-throw points, 20-19. Loyola went on to hold Lehigh scoreless on its next offensive possession, leading the way for a Nneka Offodile jumper, 22-19, to extend the Greyhound lead. The Mountain Hawks called a timeout with 27 seconds remaining, ultimately taking advantage of the time on the shot clock and pulling within one before the half.

Due to foul trouble, the two teams went to the line a combined 24 times in the first 20 minutes. The Greyhounds scored eight of their 22 points from the line, finding solace in the double bonus.

Loyola's defense came out strong in the second half, taking the lead, 28-25, after a pair of Lehigh turnovers and two sets of fast break points by Mirarchi and Offodile. The Greyhounds went on to lead by as much as four points, 31-27, after a Nicole Krusen three-point field goal from the left wing.

Over the next four and a half minutes, Lehigh used an 8-1 run to also pull away with a four-point lead, 36-32, but Brown wouldn't allow it for long. The junior connected a three-point basket to pull the Greyhounds within one with just over eight minutes to play.

Padgett and Perry went on to score the next five points, once again knotting the contest for the third time. The two teams traded free throws and layups, tying the score two more times before the final buzzer.

With 30 seconds remaining, Mirarchi scored the final basket for the Greyhounds, 47-47, before Lehigh's Elizabeth Jordan found her downtown success with five seconds remaining.

Elizabeth Sharlow led all players with 11 points, while Kerry Kinek had a game-high 14 rebounds for the Mountain Hawks (11-11, 4-7).

In total, the game contained 13 lead changes and five tied scores.

The Greyhounds will return to action on Wednesday when it hosts Lafayette College in Reitz Arena at 5 p.m.