Saint Peter's Turns Back Furious Women's Hoops Rally

Feb. 1, 2010

Box Score

Baltimore, Md. - A tightly-contested second-half kept things exciting Monday night, at Reitz Arena. But a free throw by Saint Peter's Quiana Porter with just over a minute left proved to be a decisive shot. Porter's charity shot broke a 53-53 tie and the Peahen's retained the lead, defeating Loyola 57-53 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Action.

The Greyhounds (9-12, 4-6 MAAC) overcame a 39-28 halftime deficit, coming back to tie twice with a pair of fastbreak layups by Katie Sheahin and Kaitlin Grant. But late free throws by Saint Peter's and tough calls that didn't go Loyola's way were enough to edge the `Hounds.

In her first start of the season, Sheahin finished with 13 points and pulled down six boards. The freshman guard also had a big block in the second half and tied her career-high with four steals and was clutch for Loyola down the stretch.

Miriam McKenzie swiped four balls as well and led the `Hounds with a game-high 19 points and eight rebounds. Meredith Tolley scored nine and had six rebounds.

Natasha Morris led Saint Peter's (8-13, 4-6 MAAC) with 18 points, scoring 17 in the first half alone. Jynae Judson added 13 and Charlene Riddick posted a double-double with 10 points and game-high 12 boards. Riddick's five steals were also a game-high.

After falling behind in the first half, Loyola recovered early in the second, holding Saint Peter's to just one shot through the first five minutes. McKenzie opened scoring six straight for the `Hounds and Tolley chipped in with a three and a layup to cut the Peahens' lead to 46-39.

At 10:49, with Saint Peter's back up 49-43, Tolley hit a layup in heavy traffic. McKenzie then hit two free throws making the score 49-45.

McKenzie trimmed the lead to just two points in the next possession, when Sheahin recovered her blocked shot and bounced it back up top to McKenzie for a fadeaway. A steal and a fastbreak by Grant tied the game at 49-49 with 8:15 on the clock.

Charlene Riddick then took back a lead for the Peahens with a keytop jumper off the glass and Coles netted a corner jumper to put the Peahens back up by four with 6:20 to go.

But Sheahin used some fancy moves to tie the game up again. Under heavy double-team coverage under the basket, Sheahin spun around a pair of Peahen defenders and pulled up for two. Then, with 4:13 left, she took a defensive rebound all the way down for a layup, tying the game again at 53-53.

The game stayed tied for the next two minutes until Porter knocked down her tie-breaking free throw.

With under a minute left, Morris gave the Peahen's a two-point lead with a free throw and Judson closed out the game going 2-for-2 at the line to give Saint Peter's the win.