Marist Edges Women's Basketball In Hard-Fought Battle

Jan. 20, 2012

Final Stats

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team pushed six-time Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference champion Marist College till the final buzzer, but fell, 70-62, on national television in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., on Friday night.

The loss dropped Loyola to 6-12 overall and 2-5 in conference play, while Marist improved to 13-6 overall and 8-0 in the MAAC.

"I'm extremely proud of how hard we fought against another quality Marist team," said head coach Joe Logan following the game. "The MAAC does a great job getting the conference national television exposure, and I feel that tonight showed the high-quality basketball that is played in the MAAC."

Senior Miriam McKenzie and junior Katie Sheahin became the first Greyhound teammates to record double-doubles in the same game in Loyola history. McKenzie finished with 16 points (12 in the second half) and a game-high 12 rebounds, while Sheahin also ended with 16 points while pulling down 11 boards.

Freshman point guard Kara Marshall also notched double figures, finishing with 15 points while hitting five 3-pointers. She is the second Greyhound to hit five 3-pointers this season, joining Nicole Krusen who has done it twice this year. Alyssa Sutherland contributed nine points and five rebounds, scoring eight points in the second half.

The Red Foxes had four players in double figures, with Brandy Gang leading the way with 20 on 12-of-14 shooting from the free-throw line. Casey Dulin ended with 14, Leanne Ockenden had 12 and Kelsey Beynnon chipped in 11. Preseason MAAC Player of the Year Corielle Yarde was held to just six points on three-of-12 shooting.

The Greyhounds made a run at ending the Marist 31-game conference win streak, but could not quite pull out of a nine-point halftime hole. The Red Foxes took a 35-26 lead into the break after outscoring the Greyhounds 18-4 in the paint and forcing 10 Loyola turnovers while committing only two.

After Loyola took an early 6-4 lead on 3-pointers from Marshall and Sheahin, Marist went on a 16-2 run to claim a 20-8 advantage at the 9:48 mark in the first half. Dulin scored six during the stretch for the Red Foxes and had eight in the half.

The Greyhounds slowly chipped into the lead thanks to lights out 3-point shooting. Loyola hit seven 3-pointers in the first half on 10 tries, as seven of the team's nine made field goals came from downtown. Marshall was five-of-six from 3 in the first half, scoring all 15 of her points in the first 20 minutes.

The freshman brought the Greyhounds as close as they had been since the opening moments, hitting a deep trey from the left wing to get Loyola within five at 26-21 with just over four minutes to go.

The Gaithersburg, Md., native hit one more in the half, this one coming with less than 30 seconds remaining to cut the deficit to seven. But Yarde responded with a driving layup just before time expired to put the Red Foxes on top by nine at the break.

Marist pushed the lead to 15 to start the second half, scoring eight of the first ten points to put the score at 43-28 with 16:04 left.

The Greyhounds showed their resiliency in the contest, pulling within single digits after a 6-0 spurt that included four points from McKenzie and a layup from Sheahin, cutting the deficit to 48-41 with 11:58 to play.

After Marist stretched the lead back to 10, Sutherland knocked down back-to-back jumpers to bring Loyola to within six points at the 6:32 mark. It was the closest Loyola had been since trailing by five with just over four minutes remaining in the first half.

The Red Foxes responded with a 10-0 run where they hit a trio of 3-pointers, two coming from Ockenden who hit four in the contest, giving the home side its largest lead of the game at 65-49 with 2:23 to go. Marist finished 8-for-23 from behind the arc.

Loyola put together a furious run over the closing minutes, and outscored the Red Foxes 13-5 over the final 2:23.

After trailing by as many as 16, Sheahin capped a 13-2 run with a power move along the baseline for two that got the Greyhounds as close as five at 67-62 with 28 second left on the clock.

Marist went three-of-four from the line down the stretch and Loyola missed a pair of 3-pointers to close out the contest.

The Greyhounds take the drive from Poughkeepsie down to Riverdale, N.Y., to battle Manhattan College on Sunday, Jan. 22, at 2 p.m.