Women's Hoops Edged In Final Seconds By Canisius, 73-67

Jan. 18, 2010

Video Recap

Box Score

-- In the shooting match between Loyola and Canisius Monday afternoon the Greyhounds were out-shot in the final seconds of play, falling to the Golden Griffins 73-67 at Reitz Arena.

The loss snapped a three-game Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference winning streak for Loyola and was only the first home loss of the season.

Canisius (8-9, 3-3 MAAC) lead by as much as 13 points early on but Loyola (9-8, 4-2 MAAC) managed to erase the deficit fight back in the second half. The Greyhounds had the lead with just a minute to go but Canisius' Brianna Lucas hit a clutch three with 33 seconds left on the clock and the Greyhounds failed to match it on their end of the court. Ellie Radke and Allison Braun went on to make two free throws each, pushing the game out of the reach of the Greyhounds.

Miriam McKenzie was one point shy of tying her career-high, leading the game with 22 and pulling down nine rebounds. Katie Sheahin had a career-high day, hitting six shots from the field en route to a career-best 15 points. Her four steals were also a new career mark. Kaitlin Grant had a big game as well, finishing with 14 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals.

Radke and Brittane Russell led a balanced Canisius attack. Radke pulled in a double-double with 18 points and a game-high 11 boards, while Russell had 16 points and led the game with five assists. Braun and Ashley Durham finished with 14 and 12 points, respectively.

A 57.6 percent shooting performance by the Griffins in the first half led them to an early lead. Loyola led just once in the first half, but closed out on an 8-0 run with Sheahin rolling in a layup at the buzzer to make the score 44-38.

Both teams went scoreless through the early in the second half with Russell finally breaking through with a trey three minutes in. But Canisius' shot went cold, and the Griffins didn't net a shot for the next several possessions, giving Loyola a chance to get back into the game.

The Greyhounds made a charge in the middle of the second half, coming back to within just three points. Erica DiClemente started off the rally with a layup to put the score at 46-51. Canisius missed three straight from beyond the arc and a layup by Sheahin then cut the deficit to three.

The Griffins continued to be plagued by shooting woes. A few minutes later with Loyola down 58-54, McKenzie took one to the hole for a layup, cutting the deficit to just two points with just under eight minutes left to play. But Brianna Lucas netted a three, pushing the Griffins' lead back up to five.

The two teams battled in the late minutes. Loyola finally broke through with a 62-61 lead at the four-minute mark after a steal by Sheahin resulted in a fastbreak layup. The lead changed twice leading up to the final minute of play.

With just a minute left, the two teams traded baskets back and forth until Lucas hit a jumper at the 30-second mark for a 69-67 lead. Under heavy pressure, McKenzie put up a long jumper but it missed short. Radke and Braun were then fouled and went 4-for-4 at the line to seal the victory for the Griffins.