Sep 3, 2013
|Opponent||La Salle Explorers|
|Date||Wednesday, September 4, 2013|
|Location||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | McCarthy Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is beginning its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this will mark the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games. Loyola also claimed eight regular-season titles and four MAAC Tournament titles from 1989-2012.
• The Greyhounds opened the season with a 1-1 tie at Saint Joseph’s on Friday.
• Junior Connor Thompson scored the Greyhounds’ lone goal, one-timing a cross from senior Stephen Dooley, in the 59th minute.
• Six Greyhounds made their collegiate debuts in the game. Freshman Ryan Tuck, Laurin Vogel and David Warburton were all in the starting lineup, while freshman Brennan Goldsmith and junior Andrew Waddington checked in during the second half. Freshman Colin McNabb started the overtime period.
La Salle Explorers
• La Salle opened the season with a 2-2 tie at Lafayette. The Explorers led, 2-1, through the majority of the second half, but surrendered a goal in the 88th minute leading to the final outcome.
• Jidell Roach buried a penalty kick and Jason Plumhoff scored a goal for La Salle.
• John McCarthy was one of four goalkeepers to be included on the MAC Hermann Award Preseason Watch List. McCarthy finished fourth nationally a year ago in saves and is La Salle’s all-time leader in shutouts (23).
• Loyola and La Salle were once conference rivals, with the Greyhounds and Explorers facing from 1989-91 as members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
• The Greyhounds won all three regular-season games versus the Explorers, while they also captured two league titles (1989 and 1990) by defeating La Salle in the championship game of the respective MAAC Championship games.
• Loyola only surrendered two goals in those five games, while it outscored La Salle, 20-2, including posting three shutout wins.
• Loyola has won all seven meetings between the two clubs, although the Greyhounds and Explorers last met in 1991 when they were both members of the MAAC.
• The Greyhounds concluded a perfect 8-0-0 conference schedule that year, beating the Explorers, 4-0, in the regular-season finale in Baltimore.
• In seven contests since 1982, Loyola has outscored La Salle, 26-4, and posted four shutout wins.
• Only two games have been played at La Salle, with Loyola winning 1-0 in 1983 and 6-1 in 1990.
• The Greyhounds will return to Baltimore on Saturday when they host Saint Francis (Pa.) in their home opener. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.