Men's Soccer Falls To Princeton

Sept. 3, 2006

Baltimore, Md. - Senior Julian Cantillo gave Loyola a 1-0 halftime lead with his first goal of the season, but three second-half tallies from Princeton left the Greyhounds on the wrong end of a 3-1 final at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field on Sunday afternoon.

"I thought we played well in the first half," says Loyola Head Coach Mark Mettrick. "But we're playing good teams, and just as it was against Syracuse, you have to play 90 minutes."

For the second straight game, the Greyhounds were able to take the early lead on a play started by Omar Alfonso in the midfield. Alfonso found a streaking Rade Kokovic, who volleyed to Cantillo for the score at 13:03.

The score remained 1-nil in favor of Loyola at the half, but less than 10 minutes into the second stanza, the Tigers evened the game with a goal from Dan Cummins.

Loyola attempted to respond and nearly took the lead when freshman Tennant McVea, in similar fashion to his goal against Syracuse on Friday, directed his header on goal. Princeton goalkeeper Justin Oppenheimer made the save to keep the game tied at 1-1.

Princeton's first counter was thwarted by McVea in the 72nd, when what seemed to be a sure goal from Zach Schwarz, was cleared with a header from the 6-2 freshman from Belfast. The Tigers did, however, score the go-ahead goal in the 73rd with a give-and-go in front of the cage.

The Greyhounds again tried to answer Princeton's goal and had a solid chance when Alfonso served a perfect ball to McVea in the 75th minute of play. McVea headed the ball on goal, but a Princeton defender blocked the shot to preserve the lead.

After sophomore Camilo Correa blasted a shot from 25 yards out that just sailed high, the Greyhounds began the press and Princeton took advantage, scoring its third and final goal of the match. Loyola finished the game with 11 shots distributed among eight different players while goalkeeper Justin Chelland made four saves.

The Greyhounds are now 0-3-1 overall; Princeton improves to 1-0-1 with the win. Both teams play American University in their next match - the Greyhounds take on the Eagles next Sunday in Washington, D.C. at 3 p.m.