Sept. 1, 2012
|Men's Game Information|
|Opponent||Cal State Northridge|
|Date||Sunday, September 2, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video | Free Audio|
|Game Notes||Loyola | Cal State Northridge|
Last Time Out vs. La Salle
• The Explorers converted a penalty kick in the 98th minute Friday night to knock off the Greyhounds, 1-0, in overtime of their home opener.
• Senior Gerwyn Jones was called for a foul in the box, setting Jason Plumhoff up for the game-winning opportunity. Plumhoff placed the ball in teh top center of the net, just over a diving junior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper, securing the victory for La Salle.
• Van Riper finished the game with four saves while Jones also kept a ball from crossing the back line.
MAAC Defensive Player Of The Week
• Junior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper was named the MAAC Defensive Player of the Week.
• Van Riper recorded three saves to pick up his first collegiate shutout in Loyola's season opening double-overtime scoreless draw at Saint Francis (Pa.) on Saturday.
Cal State Northridge Matadors
• Cal State Northridge went 2-0 last week to win the 2012 Wilson Titan Classic and start the season 2-0 for the first time since 2005. The Matadors suffered their first setback on Friday night though, falling 1-0 to No. 21 Georgetown.
• The Matadors' wins were a convincing 4-0 victory over the Portland Pilots, before coming from behind to down American, 2-1.
• Edwin Rivas leads the team with five points on two goals and one assist. He was named this week’s Big West Offensive Player of the Week.
• In goal, Michael Abalos has played all 270 minutes, allowing two goals and posting one shutout. He has also stopped nine shots.
Series vs. The Matadors
• This marks the first time Loyola and Cal State Northridge have met in men’s soccer.
• Loyola will close out its three-game homestand on Saturday, Sept. 8 when Quinnipiac visits Ridley Athletic Complex. Game time is 7 p.m.