Penalty Kick Heartbreaker At Maryland Brings Men's Soccer Season To Close

Nov. 28, 2007

Box Score

College Park, Md. - The Loyola men's soccer team played No. 13 seed Maryland to a scoreless draw in 110 minutes of NCAA College Cup action in College Park on Wednesday night. Penalty kicks, however, decided the match and Maryland advanced to the NCAA Round of 16 with a 4-2 edge in penalty kick scores.

"I'm very proud of my team," said Loyola Head Coach Mark Mettrick after the match. "We have a lot of brave, young men in there [the lockeroom] and I'm proud of every one of them."

Maryland, who entered the match with a first round bye, controlled possession for much of the first half, but it was Loyola with the better of the scoring opportunities.

Freshman Phil Bannister, who led the Greyhounds with 13 goals and 33 points on the season, blasted a shot from the corner of the box that sailed just over the crossbar in the 27th minute of play. Ten minutes later, freshman Eddie Dines put a solid shot on goal from 20 yards out, but Maryland keeper Will Swaim made the save to keep the team's scoreless in the first half.

In the second stanza, it was Bannister again who nearly scored from the top of the box. This time shooting a low liner that Swaim saved in the 64th minute of play. Defensively, the Greyhounds were able to limit Maryland's opportunities, and sophomore keeper Milos Kocic played an excellent match with five saves in regulation.

After a cautiously-played first overtime, the Greyhounds had their best opportunity of the night in the 101st minute when both Bannister and freshman Glenn Leitch controlled the ball inside the box with chances to score. The Terrapins were able to clear the ball and counterattacked. Kocic, however, remained firm in goal and with 43 seconds left in the second overtime, made a diving save to bring the match to penalty kicks.

After Maryland made their first opportunity, sophomore co-captain Tennant McVea answered with a low liner to even the score at 1-1. Maryland's second attempt was saved by Kocic, and after sophomore Jamie Darvill scored it appeared as if Loyola were to advance with a 2-1 advantage.

The Terrapins would make their next two - and behind a pair of saves from goalkeeper Thorne Holder, who did not play in the 110 minutes of the match - Maryland held a 3-2 edge in Penalty Kicks with a chance to win the match. Jeremy Hall did just that with his shot into the lower left corner of the cage to end the match and Loyola's excellent season.

"This team has come a long way," said senior Camilo Correa, who played his final college match. "I hope that they can build off of this and continue to have success as a program."

The Greyhounds, with three seniors on their roster in Correa, Janson Blake and Julian Cantillo, close the year with 19 wins, three losses and one tie. They led the nation in shutout percentage with a school record 17 shutouts on the season.

Loyola advanced to the Second Round via a win over Liberty last Saturday. The postseason appearance is the 14th in program history and sixth at the Division I level.