Men's Soccer Edged 2-1 By Defending National Champion Maryland In NCAA College Cup

Nov. 19, 2009

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Defending NCAA Champions Maryland scored two goals in a three-minute first-half span, and the Terrapins held off a second-half challenge by Loyola University Maryland for a 2-1 victory in the NCAA College Cup First Round in front of 875 fans at Ludwig Field.

The Terrapins (13-5-2) held a 2-0 halftime lead, but Loyola (11-8-3) pulled back within a goal early in the second half off its counterattack. Danny Ankrah sent a pass forward that got through the Terrapins defense, and Phil Bannister finished with a touch into the right corner in the 50th minute.

Loyola changed the tenor of the second half, controlling much of the play and recording the best chances.

"I am very proud of the way that we played in the second half," Loyola Head Coach Mark Mettrick said. "We came out and scored the goal early and then we competed very hard and had some very good chances. I thought that we brought a lot of intensity and passion in the second half."

The Greyhounds had a chance with two minutes left after a Terrapins' foul 10 yards outside the 18, but Kevin Curran's free kick was knocked out by a Maryland defender.

Loyola then had another free kick with a minute to play after a yellow card on Maryland's Billy Cortes, but again the Terrapins' defense held off the challenge.

The Greyhounds' last opportunity came when a ball was sent to the far post, but Maryland's goalkeeper Zac MacMath came down and Loyola was called for a foul. Maryland was issued two yellow card following the play, but no change of possession took place, and the Terrapins ran out the final 15 seconds.

After each team had chances in the first 30 minutes, the Terrapins broke through in the 34th.

Kaoru Forbes crossed a ball from right to left inside the 18, and Casey Townsend drove a low, hard shot just inside the near post for the first goal at the 34:10 mark.

Maryland struck again quickly after a cross in the 37th minute was punched out by Loyola goalkeeper Kyle Wittman. Drew Yates, however, took the ball off the foot of a Greyhounds' defender and converted the turnover into a goal from eight yards out.

The Greyhounds came back with a strong challenge in the 59th minute. After a Maryland foul 40 yards out, Kevin Curran had his free kick deflected, but it fell to Ankrah on the left side.

Ankrah appeared to be sealed off by a Maryland defender, but a quick touch to the outside got him past the marker. Ankrah sent a cross inside the six that Eddie Dines made a sliding shot on, but it sailed just high.

After Loyola won the ensuing goal kick, McVea got loose at the top of the 18 with a fancy one-touch, but his shot went a yard wide left.

The Terrapins had two shots following a corner kick in the second minute, but neither shot made it past the Loyola defense as Glenn Leitch and McVea each blocked an attempt.

Loyola had the best quality of the first 11 minutes as Leitch put a ball through the Maryland defense to an open and onside Bannister. Bannister took a one-on-one chance with Terrapins goalkeeper Zac MacMath, but MacMath made a sliding save with his feet on Bannister's shot.

Over 10 minutes later, Maryland rallied with two strong chances that Wittman thwarted.

Forbes ripped a shot from the top of the 18 that Wittman punched over the net. Off the ensuing corner, Forbes took another hard shot that Wittman tipped up with the tips of his extended fingers. Maryland then had a shot two minutes later than got past a charging Wittman, but McVea cleared it away from danger.

Wittman made seven saves for Loyola, and MacMath ended with one for the Terrapins.