Dines' Overtime Winner Gives Loyola Senior Day Win, 4-3

Final Stats

Oct. 31, 2010

BALTIMORE - An Eddie Dines goal in overtime and  Glenn Leitch hat trick gave the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team a fitting Senior Day win on Halloween with a thrilling 4-3 victory over the visiting Marist Red Foxes on Sunday in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play.

Loyola moves to 9-4-2 overall and 5-1-1 in MAAC play, while Marist drops to 8-8-0 overall and 3-4-0 in league play.

The win clinches a spot for Loyola in the MAAC Championships.

Glenn Leitch scored three goals for a hat trick with two scores early in the first half and a game-tying goal in the second before Eddie Dines headed home a Kevin Curran set piece cross in the 96th minute for the win.

Marist erased a 2-0 Loyola lead with three unanswered goals but Leitch's third goal of the game tied the match in the 68th minute.

Leitch led off the scoring in the eighth minute thanks to a pass from senior Eddie Dines. The senior captain sent in a pass from outside the box to a waiting Leitch close to the net, who booted in the chance to put the Greyhounds ahead early, 1-0.

Leitch found his second of the day and fifth of the season exactly four minutes later. Zach Tweddell lifted a pass to Leitch at the top of the box and Leitch launched a powerful header into the right side of the goal, extending Loyola's lead to 2-0. The Greyhounds would carry that lead into halftime.

The Greyhounds looked to build on their lead in the second half, but Marist tied the game with two goals within a minute of each other shortly after the break. Krystian Witkowski notched the first in the 48th minute on a pass from Stephan Brossard, and Mike McGowan followed with another after a Tony Carreras shot bounced to McGowan in the left side of the box.

Marist's goals brought the score to 2-2 with more than 42 minutes remaining in the match.

The Red Foxes scored again in the 64th minute to take a 3-2 lead. A loose ball bounced to Joe Touloumis, who shot from outside of the box to scored his first of the year and put Marist ahead.

Loyola would respond. Stephen Dooley pressured Marist goalkeeper Joe Pilla with a shot and forced Pilla to deflect the ball backwards on the save. The ball bounced off of the crossbar and Leitch met it in the air with a header to complete the hat trick and even the score in the 68th minute, 3-3.

Neither team could find another goal and the teams headed into overtime.

The Greyhounds recorded three shots in overtime but only one needed to find the net, and that shot came from Eddie Dines in the 96th minute. A Marist defender fouled Danny Ankrah near the left sideline to give Loyola a free kick and the Greyhounds took advantage, as Kevin Curran lofted a cross into the box that Eddie Dines headed home to give Loyola the win.

Loyola goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper made his first collegiate debut when he entered the match in the second half. The freshman made three saves and secured the first win of his career.

Before the game, the team recognized its senior class by honoring seniors Danny Ankrah, Phil Bannister, Mike Deasel, Karl Digbeu, Eddie Dines, Alex Garcev, Charlie Hutton, Glenn Leitch and Kyle Wittman.

The Greyhounds return to MAAC play with a trip to Fairfield on Friday, November 5, before taking on Iona in the team's regular season finale on Sunday, November 7.