Loyola And Niagara Play To 1-1 Double-Overtime Tie

Oct. 23, 2011

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team played Niagara to a 1-1 double-overtime tie Sunday afternoon in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference contest played at Ridley Athletic Complex. The game was the first overtime contest for Loyola this year and marked the final regular season home game for the Greyhounds.

Junior Kevin Curran scored for Loyola (9-4-2, 4-2-1 MAAC) in the 69th minute, while Callum Willmott scored for Niagara (9-4-2 4-2-1) in the 87th minute.

The Greyhounds' best scoring opportunity in the first half came in the 36th minute when junior Gary Weisbaum played a ball down the left side of the field and looked to take on two defenders. He then flipped a pass backwards to a streaking freshman Vegard Vinje, who's shot soared just right of the goal post.

Vinje had another chance in the 62nd minute, as Curran sent him a cross while he was open in front of the goal, but Niagara's goalkeeper, Brett Petricek, saved his header to keep the game scoreless.

Curran then tallied his first collegiate goal in the 69th minute, booting a long ball from the right side, which sailed into the top left corner of the goal to give Loyola a 1-0 advantage.

The Purple Eagles looked for their equalizer in the 73rd minute as the Greyhounds were called for a foul about 20 yards from their goal, but Niagara's shot went just high.

The Eagles had another opportunity in the 77th minute, but sophomore Jamie Libby headed a ball away from the line on a scrambled play.

Niagara then found its tying goal in the 87th minute when Carl Haworth sent a ball from down low across the face of the goal. Callum Willmott headed the ball into the top of the cross bar before it slipped across the line to snap graduate senior Kyle Wittman's scoreless streak at 455 minutes and 5 seconds.

Vinje attempted to break the tie in the 90th minute, spinning a kick toward the goal, but Petricek made a diving save to send the game into overtime.

Throughout the overtime periods, Loyola had the best scoring opportunity when Weisbaum headed a cross to Dooley, but he fired a shot just right of the goal.

Throughout the game, the Greyhounds outshot the Purple Eagles, 15-11, and held a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks. Both Wittman and Petricek made four stops in goal.

In addition, the contest marked the final regular season home game for redshirt senior Wade McHugh and Wittman. Throughout their careers, the duo helped Loyola post a 47-21-8 overall record, a 24-6-4 mark in MAAC play and a 25-10-4 record here at home. They also made two NCAA Tournament appearances and won the 2008 MAAC regular season title and the 2009 MAAC Tournament title.

Loyola will close out its regular season next weekend, heading to Siena and Marist. The Greyhounds will face the Saints on Friday at 3 p.m., and the Red Foxes Sunday at 1 p.m.