Darvill, Bannister Combination Provides Game-Winner Against Canisius

Oct. 18, 2009

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Phil Bannister won the ball in the midfield for Loyola and sent a pass to a streaking Jamie Darvill, and Darvill beat Canisius goalkeeper Adam Miller one-on-one for the eventual game-winning goal in the 74th minute as Loyola defeated the visiting Golden Griffins, 2-1, in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action Sunday afternoon.

Canisius (3-9-1 overall, 2-2-0 MAAC) played the ball back to near midfield where Bannister took it from a Golden Griffins player. Bannister turned and sent a pass to Darvill who outran his defender to the top left of the 18 yard box.

Darvill was then alone against Miller, and the senior forward sent a thigh-high shot into the left corner of the goal to put Loyola on top, 2-1.

"This was a hard fought Sunday game," Loyola Head Coach Mark Mettrick said. "In the first half, we had some good changes, and in the second half we gutted it out. We hope it will be a valuable three points (in the MAAC standings)."

The Greyhounds (6-6-1, 3-0-0) made good on their first chance in the first half. Loyola junior goalkeeper Kyle Wittman pulled a Canisius corner kick out of the air and ran to the top of the 18.

Wittman rolled the ball out to senior center back Tennant McVea who carried it across midfield on the counter-attack. McVea then sent the ball to Darvill deep in the right corner where the forward ran on to the ball and crossed it to the top right corner of the six.

Wade McHugh was there to connect to Darvill's cross with a header inside the near post for his first goal of the year, giving the Greyhounds a 1-0 lead 7:15 in to the match.

Loyola nearly scored again less than two minutes later, but Miller made a save against Darvill, and Eddie Dines had a shot blocked from 14 yards out on the left side.

Canisius, however, rallied in the 11th minute. Sam Zarka served a ball from approximately 30 yards out on the left side, finding Regan Steele with space from about 10 yards out. Steele floated a header over Wittman, tying the match at 1-1 just 4:06 after McHugh's score.

Loyola continued to create with Darvill and Bannister putting pressure on the Golden Griffins defense. Darvill had a shot saved in the 12th minute, and Bannister's follow-up rebound went right.

Bannister then had consecutive shots saved in the 13th and 18th minutes, and Miller made a save on a Darvill shot in the 29th. Dines nearly put Loyola ahead in the first half's waning seconds, but his shot went just left with four ticks left before halftime.

It was Canisius's turn to put on the pressure at the start of the second. Zarka had a shot blocked, and Greg Anne's follow-up on the rebound sailed high in the 56th minute. Alan McGreal had a header saved by Wittman in the 60th and a 35-yard blast saved in the 62nd.

After Darvill's goal, Canisius continued to attack on the offensive end.

Victor Gonzalez sent a corner kick from the right side into the right side of the box. Adam Studniarek ripped a shot, but McHugh was at the near post to make the team save, clearing the ball away and preserving the Loyola lead.

Wittman finished with two saves, and Miller had five for Loyola. The Greyhounds outshot Canisius, 13-9, but the Golden Griffins had a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Loyola plays its first MAAC road games of the year next weekend when they travel to Marist for a 7 p.m. game on Friday, October 23. The Greyhounds then take on Siena at 11 a.m. on Saturday, October 25.