Penalty Kick Lifts Army Over Loyola Men's Soccer Saturday Night

Oct. 12, 2013

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team came up just short of league-leading Army Saturday night at Ridley Athletic Complex, falling to the Black Knights, 1-0, on a penalty kick.

"Overall, the guys played very hard, the effort was good and they competed very well against a team that is currently leading the league," head coach Mark Mettrick said. "I was pleased with the effort we showed, I just thought we were a bit unlucky; we had a shot hit the post and their goalkeeper made a couple of very good saves. It's unfortunate that we were not able to get more out of this game."

The Greyhounds (5-5-1, 0-3-1 Patriot League) had the first real scoring threat in the 28th minute when junior Joseph Cahalan intercepted a Black Knights throw in from the left side and played it to sophomore Larry Ndjock on the left wing. Ndjock redirected the ball towards the center of the field where senior Diego McQuestion chipped it around a defender and ripped a left-footed shot from 10 yards out.

The shot hit off the far right post and rebounded back to a streaking sophomore Dominic Marshall on the right side. Marshall fired an 18-yard follow-up shot at goal, but it hit off the backside of Army's Trase Stapley in front of the goal.

Loyola continued to pressure in the next minute as Marshall gained control of Army's clear attempt at the midfield line on the left wing. Marshall played it into the center of the field to McQuestion who sent it ahead to a streaking Connor Thompson. The junior dribbled up the field to Dooley, but his left-footed blast from the top center of the box went just right of the goal.

The Greyhounds were then called for a foul in the box in the 36th minute, setting up a penalty kick for the Black Knights. Tanner Vosvick converted the shot, giving Army (9-1-1, 4-0-0) the 1-0 lead.

The contest would remain a midfield battle with neither team having much of an opportunity until late in the second half when freshman Ryan Tuck's header off Dooley's set piece in the 73rd minute was punched just over the cross bar by Army's goalkeeper, Winston Boldt.

In the 74th minute, Marshall had a shot blocked after a scramble in the box, setting up a series of four-straight corner kicks for the Greyhounds. Loyola was unable to find its equalizer in the opportunities though.

Boldt then came up big for the Black Knights through the final five minutes, weathering five Greyhound shots in a three-minute span. He saved Thompson's header attempt in the 87th minute and another shot by Thompson in the 88th minute, setting up a corner for Loyola. Senior goalkeeper Zach Kane was able to get a head on Marshall's corner, but the ball sailed just outside of the goal.

Ndjock capped off the Greyhounds' opportunities in the 89th minute when his shot sailed past the face of the goal. Kane had played a long ball into Loyola's offensive end, which McQuestion headed to Dooley inside the box. Dooley touched a through ball to Ndjock on the right side, but his shot missed going inside the far post.   

Kane played all 90 minutes in goal for Loyola, stopping two shots.

The Greyhounds will return to the road for two-consecutive contests. Loyola will first travel to Lehigh for a game on Saturday, Oct. 19, before heading to Boston University on Saturday, Oct. 26. Both matches are slated to begin at 7 p.m.