Loyola, Saint Peter's Draw In Men's Soccer Action

Oct. 10, 2010

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Diego McQuestion (Baltimore, Md./Gilman School) scored his first collegiate goal in the 58th minute, tying the game and sending Loyola University Maryland and Saint Peter's College to a 1-1 double overtime draw in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action on Sunday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

"I thought it was a good MAAC game and a fair result," Head Coach Mark Mettrick said. "I thought it was a hard-fought match and Saint Peter's are a good side."

The Peacocks (5-4-1 overall, 1-0-1 MAAC) took a 1-0 first-half lead, but Loyola (5-3-2, 1-0-1) came back in the second half to even the score at 1-1 in the 58th minute. Stephen Dooley (Portstewart, Northern Ireland/Loreto College Coleraine) played the ball deep in the left corner and passed to Danny Ankrah (Gaithersburg, Md./Watkins Mill).

Ankrah touched the ball toward the top of the 18 and threaded a pass through several Saint Peter's defenders where McQuestion was crashing to the far post. McQuestion drilled a shot into the net for his first collegiate goal.

Lebongagna Pila put the Peacocks on the board in the 31st minute, on a break away to the top left corner of the box. Pila broke through the Loyola defense and show from 10 yards out, sending a shot into the right side of the net.

The two sides looked for a game-winner in regulation but came up short, and the Greyhounds headed into overtime for the second time since the first game of the year, a 0-0 tie at Campbell on September 1.

In the second overtime, Loyola had a free kick from 30 yards out. Kevin Curran (Upper Township, N.J./Ocean City) sent a bending ball just outside the six, but a Saint Peter's defender deflected it over the end line for a Greyhounds' corner kick.
Stephen Dooley's corner kick went to the far post where Eddie Dines (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England/Monkseaton) had a header that went wide of the goal.

With just over three minutes left on the clock, Wade McHugh (Baldwin, Md./The McDonogh School) stole the ball in the Peacocks' offensive end and worked it outside to Dooley. Dooley made a run down the touch line, crossing it to McQuestion whose shot was high.

Diego McQuestion appeared to have the first goal of his career in the game's fourth minute after he headed in a Wade McHugh cross, but the linesman deemed Loyola offside and disallowed the score.

Loyola hits the road for its next match, taking on Rider on Saturday, October 16 at 7 p.m.