Saint Joseph's Escapes With A 2-1 Overtime Victory Over Loyola

Sept. 29, 2012

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - Saint Joseph's converted a penalty kick with 8.8 seconds remaining in overtime to secure a 2-1 win over the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team Saturday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

With the loss, the Greyhounds conclude their regular-season non-conference schedule with a 5-4-1 record, while the Hawks improve to 4-5-0.

Loyola got on the board first in the 81st minute when senior Gary Weisbaum played a ball to senior Kevin Curran on the left side. Curran split defenders and sent a cross to sophomore Connor Thompson in the box, who fired a shot from the right side into the back of the goal.

Saint Joseph's responded quickly though, scoring in the 83rd minute. Junior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper looked to have stopped the Hawks' attempt, making a diving save on Pat McGlynn's shot from the inside the box on the right side, but the ball deflected to Tim Lazorko, who put away a shot from the left side.

Jake Nelson then converted a penalty kick for the Hawks in the 100th minute, securing the 2-1 victory for Saint Joseph's.

The Greyhounds had the first scoring opportunity of the game when Thompson played a through ball to Curran from about 15 yards out. Curran fired a shot at goal, but Saint Joseph's goalie, Andrew D'Ottavi made a diving save on the attempt. The rebound went back to Curran, but his second shot went just right of the goal.

Saint Joseph's then had a chance in the 40th minute when Emmanuel Temeh created a breakaway. Temeh carried the ball into the box, but Van Riper made a diving save on the attempt. Alex Critzos then gathered the rebound and sent a shot towards the goal, but senior Gerwyn Jones was there to boot the ball off the goal line.

Curran again created a scoring opportunity in the second half when he played a cross to freshman Larry Ndjock. Ndjock attempted to sneak a shot into the side of the goal, but his shot fell just shy of the goal post.

In the 57th minute, junior Stephen Dooley played a ball to freshman Dominic Marshall on the right side. Marshall's right-footed shot from about 12 yards out hit off the cross bar though.

For the game, the Hawks held a 26-20 advantage in shots, while Loyola had a 10-6 lead in corner kicks. Saint Joseph's also had 11 shots on goal, while Loyola had five.

In goal, Van Riper stopped a career-best eight shots, while D'Ottavi earned four saves for the Hawks.

Loyola will begin conference play next weekend, travelling to Buffalo, New York to face Niagara and Canisius. The Greyhounds will play the Purple Eagles on Friday at 7 p.m., and the Golden Griffs on Sunday at 1 p.m.