Holy Cross Hands Loyola 2-1 Loss In Patriot League Opener

Sept. 28, 2013

Final Stats

By: Brendan Hyland

BALTIMORE - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team drew its second-largest crowd ever to Ridley Athletic Complex Saturday afternoon, but the 1,571 fans saw the Greyhounds drop their first-ever Patriot League contest to Holy Cross, 2-1.

The crowd trumped the the 1,403 that came out to the home opener, but they were unable to help the Greyhounds rally past their new conference rivals. 

Loyola had a flurry of scoring chances in the 59th minute, but were unable to get that initial goal. Senior Diego McQuestion's header off of sophomore Dominic Marshall's corner kick hit the post and junior Connor Thompson's rebound shot was then blocked on the goal line by a Crusader defender. Moments later, senior Stephen Dooley ripped a shot from 20 yards out that was saved by Holy Cross goalkeeper Kevin Wright.

The series of defensive plays gave Holy Cross the opportunity to put the first goal on the board in the 73rd minute when Dane Kenney blasted a right-footed shot off a corner kick by Monty Sanders into the back of the net. The shot went just over the outstretched arm of senior goalkeeper Zach Kane.

The Greyhounds turned up the intensity though and, although two of Dooley's fastbreak shots went just left of the goal, they were able to find their equalizer in the 78th minute. Sophomore Dominic Marshall gathered a ball in the midfield and dribbled upfield before sending it to Dooley on the right wing, whose shot was blocked. The ricocheted ball fell back to Marshall just inside the top corner of the box though, so he lined it up and blasted a left-footed shot past Wright from 14 yards out.

The Crusaders answered by regaining the lead in the 87th minute though, with the eventual game-winning goal coming from Tommy Uttaro. Josh Cintas played the ball into the box and although the Greyhounds attempted to clear the ball from pressure, Uttaro was there to get ahold of it and send it into the goal.

Later in the 87th minute, Loyola had an opportunity to tie the game when Holy Cross was called for a foul, but Connor Thompson's free kick from the left side was saved. And then, with just over one minute left in the game, Colin McNabb's cross into the six-yard box was headed just over the goal by McQuestion, leading to the final outcome.

Throughout the game, Loyola held a 16-12 advantage in shots and an 11-2 lead in corner kicks.

In goal, senior Zach Kane played all 90 minutes and finished with six saves, one shy of his career high.

Up next, Loyola will embark on a three-game road swing beginning on Wednesday, Oct., 2, when the Greyhounds head to James Madison for its final non-conference contest. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.