Men's Soccer Earns Hard-Fought 1-1 Double OT Tie At No. 21 UMBC

Sept. 20, 2014

Final Stats

CATONSVILLE, Maryland - The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team earned a hard-fought 1-1 double-overtime tie at No. 21 UMBC Saturday night at Retriever Soccer Park.

In the 26 meetings between the two teams, this marks just the third tie in series history, with the last one being a 1-1 decision at UMBC in 1988.

After taking just one shot in the first half, Loyola (3-2-2) got on the board in the 51st minute with its second shot of the game. Senior Connor Thompson set up the play when he was taken down on the right wing, drawing a foul in line with the top of the box. Sophomore Laurin Vogel took the free kick and sailed it into the box where sophomore Ryan Tuck was able to get a head on it and direct it into the back of the net.

The Greyhounds were only able to hold their lead until the 67th minute though, when UMBC’s Kay Banjo got the Retrievers their equalizer by blasting a shot from the top center of the box into the right corner of the goal.

Both squads had scoring opportunities throughout the remainder of the contest, but neither side was able to capitalize on the chances. With five minutes remaining in regulation, senior Joey Wilkins blocked a Retriever shot from the left side and then the Greyhounds tried to turn it into a goal when sophomore David Warburton found Vogel in the middle of the field. Vogel carried the ball into the left side of the box, but left-footed shot sailed just left of the goal post.

Warburton took the lone shot for either team during the two overtime periods, but UMBC goalkeeper Phil Breno saved his shot in the 97th minute.

Throughout the game, the Retrievers led in shots, 13-9, while Loyola earned a 6-4 advantage in corner kicks. Sophomore transfer Matt Sanchez earned two shots in goal for the Greyhounds and Breno finished with one for UMBC.

Loyola will return to action next weekend when it begins Patriot League play at Holy Cross. Kick off is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m.