Bannister's 29th-Minute Goal Holds Up In Loyola's 1-0 Victory Over Towson

Sept. 19, 2009

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Back on the field for the first time since suffering an injury on September 4, Loyola forward Phil Bannister scored the match's lone goal 29:11 into play, lifting the Greyhounds to a 1-0 victory over visiting Towson on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action in front of 1,024 fans at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.

Fellow forward Jamie Darvill intercepted a Tiger pass and flicked the ball right-side to a waiting Bannister.

The junior from Newcastle, England, sped past a Towson defender and went one-on-one with Tigers goalkeeper John Steele. Bannister drove a waist-high past a diving Steele into the middle of the goal for his first goal of the season.

"It was great to have Phil Bannister back from injury today," Loyola Head Coach Mark Mettrick said. "Our attack was very dangerous today. Phil and Jamie Darvill created a lot of good things together and made things happen for us."

Bannister's goal held up as the game-winner thanks to a solid defensive effort led by back Tennant McVea and goalkeeper Kyle Wittman.

"Our defense did a fine job today keeping a dangerous Towson attack off the board," Mettrick said. "This was a bit of a gut-check for us, and we earned a hard-fought win."

Towson (3-3-0) finished with a 13-9 advantage in shots, but Loyola (3-2-0) limited the Tigers' dangerous chances, and Wittman finished with seven saves.

The Tigers' best opportunities came in the second half, but Loyola's defense answered both times.

Tommy Appel-Schumacher ripped a shot on the left side in the 67th minute, but Wittman made a diving kick save to deny the Tigers a goal.

Later in the frame, Towson's Marco Mangione took the ball into the box and appeared to be one-on-one with Wittman, but McVea made a sliding tackle from the side to knock the ball cleanly away for Wittman to pick up.

The Greyhounds had opportunities of their own, aside from the Bannister goal.

A Darvill cross skidded through the box untouched in the 10th minute and found its way to Alex Garcev on the right side, but Garcev's shot went high and off frame.

In the second half, Steele made two solid saves, both on headers by Bannister, to deny Loyola goals. Towson's defense also blocked a sharp Danny Ankrah shot with less than six minutes remaining in the match.

Loyola continues non-conference play against local sides with a 7 p.m. match on Tuesday, September 22, at UMBC. The Greyhounds return to Diane Geppi-Aikens Field next Saturday, September 26, to host Monmouth in a 1 p.m. Family Weekend affair.