Greyhounds Fall To No. 2 Maryland In Men's Soccer Action

Sept. 15, 2004

Box Score

College Park, Md. - Playing its second straight Top-5 opponent, the men's soccer team would find out just how much they had left in the tank after an exhausting 2-1 loss to Santa Clara on Sunday. The answer, unfortunately, was not in Loyola's favor as they dropped a 9-0 decision to No. 2 Maryland at College Park.

The Greyhounds did come out on the offensive, going right at the Maryland defense in the game's early moments. With over half of the first 12 minutes played in Loyola's offensive end, the Terrapins took advantage of their first solid scoring opportunity at 13:30.

A defensive breakdown when freshman Janson Blake slipped on the wet Ludwig Field turf allowed Maryland to bring the ball to the front of the cage. Goalkeeper Greg Peters was able to control the ball after a scramble in front of the cage, but Maryland kept attacking and after the ball was jarred loose, Stephen King knocked it in for the game's first goal.

Senior Abe Thompson doubled the Maryland advantage with a goal at 22:03, and for the second time this season, the Greyhounds trailed by two goals in the first half. Loyola, would not panic, however, and soon had offensive opportunities of its own.

After a pair of corner kicks from sophomore Rade Kokovic came up empty, Kevin Nash found himself on a break behind the Terrapin defense in the game's 28th minute. The Greyhound senior shot a bullet, but right at Terp keeper Noah Palmer, who made the chest-high save.

Maryland scored for a third time in the half when King blasted a shot from the top of the box. The momentum was clearly shifted to the Terrapin side, which was even more evident 54 seconds later when Thompson's cross deflected off of Chase Franklin and into Loyola's net for a 4-0 lead.

Loyola's best scoring opportunity of the half came with two minutes left of the clock when sophomore Omar Alfonso was pulled down inside the box. Alfonso's penalty kick went low and Palmer guessed right to keep the `Hounds off the scoreboard going into the half.

The Terps kept attacking in the second half and it didn't take long for Thompson to score his third goal of the night, setting up and firing a high shot just under the top post. Down by five goals, and back on their heels, the defensive play of the night came in the 52nd minute when Maurice Edu lofted a shot over Peters' head. Freshman Ray Hassett came flying into to cage and knocked the ball away with a head-first dive.

Loyola could not build upon Joyce's defensive gem, while Maryland continued to pepper the Greyhound goal. Four more Terrapin goals would give them the 9-nil win and improve their overall record to 5-0.

The Greyhounds drop to 2-3 on the year and return to Alumnae Field for a 1 p.m. match with regional power William & Mary this Saturday, September 18.