Strong Second Half Sends Loyola Past Towson, 2-0

Sept. 11, 2012

Final Stats

Photo Gallery

View on a mobile device

TOWSON - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team scored two second-half goals Tuesday afternoon to come away with a 2-0 victory against local-rival Towson at the Tiger Soccer Complex. 

Freshman Larry Ndjock scored his fourth goal of the season in the 48th minute and sophomore Connor Thompson, who assisted Ndjock's goal, tacked on his first score of the season in the 54th minute.

In goal for the Greyhounds, junior Thurman Van Riper made four saves in earning his second shutout of the season.

"I think it's always good to play a local rival," head coach Mark Mettrick said. "Fortunately for us, it went our way today. It was a tight match though, and a difficult one."

The win marks the third-straight for the Greyhounds (3-1-1), while the Tigers fall to 2-2-1. It also gives Mark Mettrick his 150th career victory at Loyola while it improves his overall record to 207-113-35.

After a scoreless first half, Thompson played a ball through the midfield, dodging defenders, before sending a pass to Ndjock about 30 yards from the goal. Ndjock went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, pulling him out of the box, before sending a right-footed shot across the face of the goal and into the lower left corner in the 48th minute.

Ndjock was then taken down in the box in the 54th minute, setting Thompson up for his first collegiate penalty kick opportunity. The sophomore from Swindon, England converted the shot and gave the Greyhounds a 2-0 advantage.

Towson looked for an answer in the 57th minute when Olakunle Banjo played a cross to Cameron Kidwell in front of the goal. Kidwell struck a left-footed shot toward the goal from inside the box, but Van Riper made a diving save to keep the Tigers off the board.

The Greyhounds almost made it 3-0 in the 67th minute when senior Gary Weisbaum played a ball across the front of the goal, where classmate Kevin Curran redirected it. Curran's shot went just left of the goal though.

For the game, the Greyhounds out-shot the Tigers, 13-10, and held a 6-4 advantage in shots on goal. Towson had the edge in corner kicks, 6-4.

The Greyhounds will remain on the road, heading to Campbell for a Saturday night contest versus the Camels. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.