Men's Soccer Takes Down Quinnipiac, 2-1

Sept. 11, 2010

Final Stats |  1983 Team Recognition Ceremony 

BALTIMORE -  Zach Tweddell ( Newcastle, England/Monkseaton ) scored the first goal of his collegiate career and Eddie Dines (N ewcastle Upon Tyne, England/Monkseaton ) added his first of the season to power the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team over visiting Quinnipiac for the Greyhounds' first win of the season, 2-1.

Loyola (1-1-1) and Quinnipiac (0-3-0) battled hard for ninety minutes with a deadlocked score until the final eight minutes. The Greyhounds outshot the 2009 Northeast Conference runner-up, 19-14, and recorded eight shots on goal to Quinnipiac's five. The win marked the second one-goal victory against Quinnipiac in three years, and last year the game ended in a scoreless tie.

"I'm delighted for the team," said Head Coach Mark Mettrick. "They showed a lot of character in their response to come back and win, especially after Tuesday's match against William & Mary."

Tied at 1-1 with less than eight minutes remaining, the Greyhounds' hard work on offense would pay off for the eventual game-winner. Danny Ankrah ( Gaithersburg, Md. ) took a shot from in close that found a defending Quinnipiac defender, but the rebound bounced to Eddie Dines who converted with a hard shot into the top center of the net. The goal moved the score in Loyola's favor, 2-1, and the Greyhounds would hold on for the win. The goal marked the first of the season for Eddie Dines.

Phil Bannister ( Wallsend, England ) led Loyola with six shots on goal, while Eddie Dines and Danny Ankrah each added four apiece.

A tough second half saw each team engage in physical play through the midfield while looking for scoring chances. The Greyhounds nearly jumped ahead on a beautiful opportunity in the 65th minute. Eddie Dines made a run in the center of the Quinnipiac half and found Phil Bannister at the top of the box. Bannister nimbly maneuvered the ball around a Bobcat defender to create space for a shot, only to miss the net by inches as the ball found the inside of the left post and bounced away.

Both sides proved evenly matched in the first 45 minutes, each recording eight shots and four shots on goal.

Quinnipiac would find the net first, going ahead late in the first half. William Daniels found himself free in the Loyola end outside the 18 and launched a rocket into the right side of the net, pushing Quinnipiac ahead 1-0 with four minutes remaining in the half.

Loyola would not be behind for long. A little over a minute later, Charlie Hutton ( Shipley, England/Guiseley ) and the Greyhounds set up for a corner kick on the left side of the pitch. Hutton chipped a high, arcing cross into the center of the box that Zach Tweddell met in the air and headed in to tie the match, 1-1. The score not only sent the teams into the break with a tie, but also marked the first goal of Tweddell's career.

Saturday was a night of firsts for Loyola. Freshman Jamie Libby ( Romford, England/Havering College ) made his first collegiate start, joining the Greyhound attack on the front line. Cesar Ramos (Baltimore, Md./Archbishop Curley) and newcomer Gary Weisbaum ( Baltimore, Md./Pikesville ) appeared in Loyola uniforms for the first time in their careers and Alex Garcev (London, England/Alleyn's School) made his first appearance of the season.

The Greyhounds return to Ridley Athletic Complex for their next match on Tuesday, September 14. The team hosts No. 9 Maryland in a rematch of last year's College Cup first round matchup, in which the Terrapins came away with a 2-1 victory. Kick-off is slated for 7 p.m.