Navy and Loyola Play To A 3-3 Draw In Men's Soccer Action

Sept. 7, 2011

Final Stats

ANNAPOLIS, MD - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team played Navy to a 3-3 draw in a rain-soaked contest on the road Wednesday night at the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility. The match was postponed in the 83rd minute due to lightning and was then called due to impending inclement weather in the area with 6:48 left to play.

Graduate senior Kyle Wittman led Loyola (1-1-1) with a season-high nine saves, one shy of his career high, while three Greyhounds notched goals for Loyola. Sophomore Stephen Dooley scored in the 60th minute, followed by sophomore Jamie Libby in the 72nd minute and sophomore transfer Geaton Caltabiano in the 75th minute.

For Navy (1-2-1), Joseph Greenspan, David Jackson and Zach Davis scored.

Navy came out attacking in the opening half, firing off 10 shots within the first 25 minutes of play. Wittman turned back three of those attempts, before surrendering a goal to Davis in the 25th minute. Wes Powell took the corner kick on the play and Davis came streaking in from the left corner to head it into the goal.

The Midshipmen then took a 2-0 lead early in the second half, when Greenspan blasted a shot from 25 yards inside the right post into the net.

Wittman stopped Navy’s next two shot attempts, before Dooley notched the first goal of his career in the 60th minute to get Loyola on the board. Dooley, the team leader in assists a year ago, took the rebound of a shot by Caltabiano and, from the middle of the box, put the ball into the top of the net.

Libby then knotted the score at 2-2 with his first goal of the season – fourth of his career – in the 72nd minute. Libby scored on junior Kevin Curran's free kick, heading the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

Three minutes later, Caltabiano converted a free kick into a goal, sending a shot from the top of the box into the left corner to give the Greyhounds a 3-2 advantage - their first lead of the game. The goal marks the second of the season - and career - for Caltabiano.

Navy halted the Greyhounds' second half scoring spree with a goal from David Jackson in the 82nd minute. Powell took the corner kick for the Mids, before Jackson's shot deflected off Wittman and into the left corner of the goal for the score.

Following the goal, play was halted due to lightning in the area. The game was called, tied 3-3, with 6:48 left to play.

Loyola will return to action this weekend when it hosts St. Francis (Pa.) in the squad's home opener. Game time is slated for 7 p.m., at Ridley Athletic Complex.