Trio Of Second-Half Goals Too Much For Men's Soccer Against Old Dominion

Sept. 5, 2015

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - A trio of second-half goals, including two in the final four minutes of play, saw Old Dominion pick up a 3-0 victory over the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team Saturday night at Ridley Athletic Complex.

The Greyhounds (0-2-1) were outshot 18-7 throughout the contest, but created six of their seven attempts in the second half.

In the 19th minute, junior goalkeeper Matt Sanchez punched up Ivan Militar's corner, and although Niko Klosterhalfen was able to get a head on the rebound, his attempt hit off the top of the crossbar and trickled down the back of the net.

On the counter attack, sophomore transfer Matt Bautista sent a through ball to junior Brennan Goldsmith, but Goldsmith put too much on his first touch and the ball rolled into the hands of ODU's goalkeeper, Alex Tiesenhausen.

Senior Mike LaRose made a defensive slide just inside the box in the 27th minute to halt the Monarchs' scoring chance and then in the 36th minute, freshman A. Mickey Watson slid in and blocked a shot from Josue Henriquez while Sanchez was off the line. Junior John Toher cleared the ball from the box to again dilute the scoring threat.

Loyola had the final scoring opportunity of the first half when Alex Ponvert played a ball to the feet of Joe Rodriguez in the 40th minute, but his 19-yard blast went right of the goal.

The Monarchs broke the stalemate early in the second half, scoring in the 60th minute when Ryan Condotta volleyed a cross from Nicholas Hutchinson the seven yards into the goal.

Despite playing man down, Loyola had a chance to tie it in the 79th minute when junior Laurin Vogel split defenders on the right wing and played a ball into the box to sophomore Brad Warenicz. The forward pulled away from his defender before spinning and sending a shot at goal, but Tiesenhausen was there for the save.

Warenicz then had a second scoring chance in the 81th minute, but his shot just missed hitting the right post.

Old Dominion closed out the final four minutes of play with a pair of goals. The first came in the 86th minute in a 3-v-2 fast break situation when Johan De Picker drew a defender and freed up Henriquez for the score at the top of the box.

The game's final goal then came in the 90th minute when Geoffrey Hill, just inside the top left corner of the box, played a ball to De Picker, who fished a shot into the top right corner of the goal.

The Greyhounds will return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Durham, North Carolina, to face Duke at 7 p.m.