Men's Soccer Ties Campbell In Season Opener, 0-0

Sept. 1, 2010


Final Stats


BUIES CREEK, N.C. - The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team found itself locked in a defensive battle with the Campbell Camels in Wednesday night's season opener, and neither team could solve the other and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.

The Loyola back line and senior goalkeeper Kyle Wittman (Baltimore, Md.) combined to limit Campbell to only five shots on goal. Wittman made the five saves in the match to force the tie and register his first shutout of the year.

"It was a gutsy performance in our first game of the year," said Head Coach Mark Mettrick. "I'm encouraged by the resiliency of our team and I think a tie is a fair result."

Loyola (0-0-1) faced a tough team in Campbell (0-0-1), a squad that finished either first or second in the Atlantic Sun Conference for the past five years. Campbell entered the season as the team selected to finish second this year in the Atlantic Sun preseason poll.

Danny Ankrah (Gaithersburg, Md.) led the Greyhounds with three shots. Stephen Dooley (Portstewart, Northern Ireland) and Eddie Dines (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England) each recorded two shots as well.

After 90 minutes with no score, Loyola turned up its offense in the first overtime period. The freshman pair of Stephen Dooley and Diego McQuestion (Baltimore, Md.) registered the team's first shots on goal with a chance apiece within the first six minutes of overtime. Dooley's challenge came on a strong 1-on-1 effort against Campbell goalkeeper Ryan Amons. Despite the chances, the score remained at 0-0 and the match went to a second overtime.

In the second extra frame, Wittman saved Campbell's only shot on goal after regulation, a chance from Brian Urioste in the 103rd minute.

In addition to Dooley and McQuestion, several Greyhounds made impressive collegiate debuts on Wednesday night. Jamie Libby (Romford, England) produced a solid scoring chance of his own and Alex Bullington (Fallston, Md.) provided support from the bench in the players' first game wearing a Loyola uniform.

The two sides battled through a scoreless first half, thanks to Kyle Wittman's three saves in the first 45 minutes. The second half played out much like the first, with each team looking for the game's first goal. Again, the Greyhounds called on Wittman to make one save in the second half to keep Loyola tied at 0-0.

The game began roughly 45 minutes after its scheduled time due to a Campbell women's soccer game that also went into overtime.

The Greyhounds return home for a three-game homestand, beginning with the team's home opener against William & Mary on Tuesday, Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. Loyola then hosts Quinnipiac on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. before capping the homestand against No. 6 Maryland on Tuesday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m.