Penalty Kick Lifts La Salle Over Loyola In Overtime

Aug. 31, 2012

Final Stats

The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team gave up a penalty kick in the 98th minute to drop a 1-0 overtime decision to La Salle in its home opener Friday night at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Senior Gerwyn Jones was called for a foul in the box setting Jason Plumhoff up for the game-winning opportunity. Plumhoff placed the ball in the top center of the net, just over junior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper's reach, securing the victory for the Explorers (2-0-0).

"I thought it was a pretty even game, but obviously La Salle is strong, and they do counterattack well," head coach Mark Mettrick said. "Give them credit for creating the goal at the end, but I think it was a pretty even game overall."

Van Riper finished the game with four saves, while Jones also stopped an Explorer shot from going in in the 84th minute. Van Riper made a diving save on Joe Farrell's shot and Plumhoff attempted to stick the rebound into the net, but Jones headed it off the back line to keep the game scoreless.

The Greyhounds then looked to have a counter attack in the 86th minute after Van Riper broke up a corner kick. Freshman Dominic Marshall gained possession for Loyola and played the ball ahead to classmate Larry Ndjock. The freshman broke away from his defenders and possessed the ball into the box, but La Salle's goalkeeper took away Ndjock's angle and made the save from the right side of the goal.

Loyola also had a scoring opportunity in the 72nd minute when senior Kevin Curran sent a cross into the box. Junior Diego McQuestion attempted a header on the play, but La Salle's defender kept it from crossing the line and McCarthy snatched the ball out of mid air.

In the first half, McQuestion crossed a path to sophomore Connor Thompson, who fired a shot from about 20 yards out in the 14th minute, but a La Salle defender blocked the attempt.

Thompson then stole the ball in the 42nd minute and played it ahead to Ndjock, who went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but McCarthy also saved that shot attempt for the Explorers.

Loyola and La Salle finished the game with 13 shots and 14 fouls each, while the Explorers held a 5-4 advantage in corner kicks. 

McCarthy ended the game with five saves for the Explorers.

Loyola (0-1-1) will return to action on Sunday when it hosts Cal State Northridge at Ridley Athletic Complex at 1 p.m.