Men's Soccer Plays Saint Joseph's To 1-1 Tie In Season Opener

Aug 30, 2013

Final Stats

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team opened its 71st season of play on Friday night by playing Saint Joseph's to a 1-1 draw at Sweeney Field.

The Hawks took advantage of a Greyhound mishap in the third minute to take the early lead. Loyola’s defense had broke up a potential one-on-one situation with senior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper, but Van Riper’s clear attempt went right to Alex Critzos, who collected the ball and sent a shot into the goal from about 18 yards out.

Loyola created a couple chances throughout the rest of the half, as senior Stephen Dooley sent a blast over the bar in the 14th minute. Freshman Laurin Vogel also had a shot blocked from inside the box with just over one minute to play in the first half.

Saint Joseph’s almost added to its score at the beginning of the second half when Van Riper challenged a bouncing ball at the top of the box. The Hawks were able to beat Van Riper to the ball though and headed it over Loyola’s keeper. Senior Jamie Libby was able to chase the loose ball down and cleared it from the goal line.

The Greyhounds then found their equalizer in the 59th minute after fancy footwork by Dooley cleared him of defenders just right of the goal. He then sent a cross across the face of the goal to junior Connor Thompson, who one-timed a shot into the back of the net for Loyola’s first goal of the season.

Senior Diego McQuestion looked to give Loyola its first lead of the game, but his shot on the run went just wide right in the 68th minute.

In the final two minutes of regulation, Van Riper made a game-saving stop when a throw in went off the back of the head of Jake Nelson in front of the goal. Van Riper was able to make the diving save to secure overtime.

As time wound down in the second overtime period, the Greyhounds peppered the Hawks’ goalkeeper, Andrew D’Ottavi, with some shots. In the 106th minute, sophomore Larry Ndjock sent a through ball at the goal, but D’Ottavi was able to get a hand on it at the last second to keep the game alive. D’Ottavi was tested again in the 108th minute when Dooley sailed a shot towards the center of the crossbar, but D’Ottavi was able to punch the ball just over the bar, leading to the 1-1 draw.

In goal for the Greyhounds, Van Riper played all 110 minutes and collected eight saves.

Six Greyhounds made their collegiate debuts in the game, as freshmen Ryan Tuck, Laurin Vogel and David Warburton were all in the starting lineup and freshman Brennan Goldsmith and junior Andrew Waddington checked in during the second half. Freshman Colin McNabb then started the overtime period.

Loyola will be back in action on Wednesday when it returns to Philadelphia for a 7 p.m., contest at La Salle.