Johns Hopkins Clips No. 8 Men's Lacrosse, 9-6

May 8, 2010

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Chris Hurst scored a career-high three goals, but Johns Hopkins used a 6-1 run that spanned both halves, and the Blue Jays pulled away for a 9-6 non-conference victory over No. 8 Loyola on Senior Day at Ridley Athletic Complex on Saturday afternoon.

Kyle Wharton scored five times, including four times during the Blue Jays' run, to lead all players.

Hurst tied the game up with a 12-yard rip with 6:25 left in the second half, making the score 3-3, but the Blue Jays responded with two goals before the end of the half.

Dave Spaulding scored 33 seconds after Hurst's goal, and Wharton tallied his second on an extra-man opportunity off a Steven Boyle assist with 3:11 to go.

The pair of Blue Jays' goals put them up 5-3 at halftime and ignited the 6-1 run.

Wharton scored the first goal of the second half before Patrick Fanshaw took a Collin Finnerty pass and scored over the shoulder of Johns Hopkins' goalkeeper Pierce Bassett with 10:34 to play in the third quarter, making it 6-4 Blue Jays.

Johns Hopkins would score the next three, however, as Wharton tallied a pair wrapped around a Michael Kimmel goal. Wharton's fifth goal of the game, a career-high, gave the Blue Jays (7-7 overall) a 9-4 lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

Hurst scored Loyola's last two goals to provide the final difference.

"I was pleased with our effort today, but not with the end results," Head Coach Charley Toomey said. "When you give someone with a shot like Wharton that much light, he is going to put a lot of goals away."

Loyola (9-4) dominated many statistical categories, but it did not reflect on the scoreboard. The Greyhounds outshot Johns Hopkins, 41-22, and Loyola picked up 36 ground balls to the Blue Jays' 21. Loyola also committed just 13 turnovers to Johns Hopkins' 18.

John Schiavone won 12-of-19 faceoffs for Loyola and had a game-best 10 ground balls.

Bassett, however, made 20 saves, a career-high, in goal for the Blue Jays. Jake Hagelin (three) and Alex Peaty (four) combined for seven for the Greyhounds.

Loyola took a 1-0 lead, scoring on its first man-up chance of the game. Chris Basler took a feed from Cooper MacDonnell and scored with 8:01 left in the first quarter.

Tom Palasek evened it up less than two minutes later, scoring from the close left side after a Marshall Burkhart assist.

Wharton then tallied a goal to put Johns Hopkins ahead, 2-1, with 5:24 to play.

Schiavone evened the game at two for Loyola after he picked up a ground ball deep in Loyola's offensive zone following a prolonged faceoff to start the second quarter. The goal was his second of the season.

KIimmel tallied an unassisted goal with 13:49 left in the second quarter, giving Johns Hopkins a 3-2 advantage before Hurst tied the game with his first goal.

Loyola, which was playing without starting defender Steve Layne, held Johns Hopkins' leading scorer, Boyle, to just one assist. He entered the game with 30 goals and 21 assists. Layne missed his first start in 40 games with a knee injury.

Defensively, Kyle Cottrell caused three turnovers for Loyola, and Steve Dircks caused two. Dircks picked up four ground balls, while Taylor Ebsary and Scott Ratliff each had three.

Loyola will find out Sunday night if its season will be extended with a berth in the NCAA Championships. The selection show airs at 8:30 p.m. on ESPNU.