Army West Point Rallies To Beat Men's Lacrosse, 12-11

April 21, 2015

Final Stats

Pontrello scored five points with two goals and three assists for Loyola.

BALTIMORE - The U.S. Military Academy scored with 5.7 seconds left in regulation, its sixth-straight goal, and the Black Knights defeated Loyola University Maryland, 12-11, in the Patriot League Quarterfinals on Tuesday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex.

John Glesener took an 18-yard shot from the top-right side of the box after catching an Alex Newsome skip pass, and his shot went inside the near post to provide the game-winner.

The Greyhounds (7-8 overall) took a 10-5 advantage into the fourth quarter when Zach Herreweyers scored his second of the game with 68 seconds left in the third.

Army West Point (9-5), however, got a goal back 2:30 into the second when Alex Newsome fought off a check to score, cutting the deficit to four.

Loyola scored just 39 seconds later as Nikko Pontrello fed an assist to Jay Drapeau on the right side of the crease, and Drapeau buried his career-high second of the afternoon, stretching the advantage back to five at 11:51. That goal, however, was the last of the afternoon for Loyola.

The Black Knights quickly were back within four as the faceoff after Drapeau's goal squirted deep into their offensive end. Cole Johns picked up the ground ball and escaped the sideline to find Al DeStefano for a goal 17 seconds after Drapeau scored.

Conor Glancy then made it an 11-8 game when he split a slide and scored at 10:49. It took just 47 seconds for Army West Point to get within two when Newsome scored at 10:02.

Jimbo Moore then made it a one-goal spread with a tally at 9:23, and Johnson's run that started behind the cage finished with the tying goal at 5:36.

After Army West Point tied the game, its goalkeeper Sam Somers made two saves to preserve the margin, the second a highlight reel effort in a one-on-one situation with Herreweyers at 4:03.

Glesener, who had previously been held to just one goal on 13 shots, then scored the winner to advance the Black Knights to the Patriot League Championship game.

Army West Point jumped out to a 3-1 lead late in the first quarter when Johnson scored at 2:32 and only four seconds later, Dan Grabher won the faceoff and scored on a high shot.

Pontrello, however, cut Loyola's deficit to one, 3-2, entering the second quarter with his first of two goals. His tally started a 3-0 Loyola run that saw Herreweyers score off a Pontrello feed at 11:56, and Drapeau score his first of the day after picking up a ground ball off a saved Johnny Guiffrda shot at 10:50.

Matt Bowman and Glesener scored for Army West Point at 8:32 and 3:35, but their goals bookended goals by Tyler Albrecht and Brian Sherlock for the Greyhounds. Pontrello then added his second of the game, also unassisted, with just over 24 seconds left, and Loyola took a 7-5 lead into the halftime break.

Neither Loyola, nor the Black Knights managed a goal in the first 10-plus minutes of the second half, but Zack Sirico picked off a Somers clearing pass and raced in to score at 4:19, and he tallied another goal at 2:42.

Herreweyers' second of the game, unassisted with 68 seconds left in the third quarter, put Loyola up 10-5, as the Greyhounds shutout the Black Knights, 3-0, in the stanza.

Herreweyers finished the season with 47 goals, tying him for fifth most in school single-season history.

Pontrello had a game-high five points with two goals and three assists. He wrapped up his Loyola career with 155 total points, ninth-most in school history. He scored those 155 points with 91 goals (13th all-time) and 64 assists (11th). He is one of eight players in program history to be in the top-15 of all three scoring categories.

Pat Frazier tied his career-high with six ground balls to bring his season total to 49. Graham Savio also picked up six, and Ryan Fournier tallied five. Jack Carrigan recorded two to raise his season mark to 41. It is the first time since 2012 -- a season in which the Greyhounds played 19 games -- that two close defenders have had 40 or more ground balls.