Palmer's Goal, Hagelin's Saves Lift Loyola In 4OT Win

April 17, 2011

Final Stats

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Jake Hagelin made a career-high 18 saves, and Chris Palmer scored the game-winning goal 2-minutes, 13-seconds into the fourth overtime period, and the Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse team defeated host Georgetown University, 6-5, in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon.

Hagelin, who made six saves in the four overtimes, stopped a Georgetown shot, and Loyola cleared in transition setting up the final sequence. Head Coach Charley Toomey called timeout with 2:29 on the overtime clock, and Loyola broke the huddle with the ball in its offensive end.

Palmer had the chance to end the game shortly after the timeout, but his shot from the left side bounced wide right.

Loyola backed up the play and retained possession, and Palmer had a chance for redemption. Matt Langan fed him a pass goal-line extended on the right side, and Palmer split a double-team while going to goal. He shot low and toward the far post, scoring with 1:47 on the clock to end the contest.

"I saw that I had a shorty on me, and I was able to beat him inside," Palmer said. "I was falling down, and I just tried to put it anywhere. I looked up at the ref to see if it went in."

Palmer's goal lifted Loyola's overall record to 7-3 and provided the Greyhounds with their second overtime victory in as many weeks.

The game was the longest in Loyola's NCAA Division I history dating back to 1982. It is also the first time since the school's move to Division I that it has played back-to-back overtime games.

Georgetown (5-6 overall) won the face-off to open the fourth overtime period, and the Hoyas came out shooting. Rickey Mirabito's first shot went high, and Max Seligmann had an attempt go over the cage.

Mirabito then got loose on the left of Hagelin, goal-line extended, but Reid Acton checked his stick from behind as Mirabito shot, causing the attempt to sail well wide.

The Hoyas retained possession, and Zack Angel's shot was saved by Hagelin. Loyola executed a clear that nearly went awry before Mike Sawyer picked up a ground ball to save possession for the Greyhounds.

Georgetown managed to outshoot Loyola, 15-6, in the overtime periods, but Hagelin made six saves on the only Hoya shots on goal during that time span. The Greyhounds also earned possession in key moments as Steve Dircks twice beat Georgetown offensive players to the out-of-bounds line to get the ball for Loyola.

Loyola built a 4-2 lead in the third quarter, the biggest advantage for either team. Georgetown was up by a goal, 2-1, when David Shriver picked up a loose ball just outside the crease and scored past Hagelin with 3:21 to go in the second quarter.

The game appeared headed to halftime that way, but Loyola tied it up with three-tenths of a second left in the quarter. Davis Butts took a pass from Langan, worked his way above the goal, cut to the middle, used a stutter-step to get space from a defender and bounced an overhand shot home to tie the game at 2-2.

The Greyhounds immediately took a one-goal lead at the start of the third quarter when John Schiavone won the face-off to himself, found Josh Hawkins who stepped into the box and fired a cross field pass to Mike Sawyer.

Sawyer stepped in and ripped a sidearm shot from 12 yards out on the left side to put Loyola on top for the first time in the game.

Loyola gained its biggest advantage of the contest with 1:05 to go in the third when Stephen Murray drove to within 10 yards out and slipped a pass to Sawyer through traffic, and Sawyer scored his second of the game from 15 feet.

Neither the Greyhounds, nor Georgetown, would score for most of the fourth quarter until the Hoyas broke through with just over four minutes to play.

Mirabito fed Stu Shannon who scored to make it 4-3, and Georgetown evened it with 2:34 to go as Seligmann recovered after a slip to score from the left side.

Loyola took the lead with 64 seconds to go after Hagelin made a save and cleared it over the top of Georgetown's defense to Hawkins. Hawkins went box-to-box, shook off a defender and bounced a shot from 20 feet out to make it 5-4 in the Greyhounds' advantage.

Georgetown, however, had time to tie it as Davey Emala scored on a Mirabito assist with 29 ticks left in regulation, setting up overtime.

Loyola had two chances in the first overtime, but Palmer's shot went high and a Murray attempt was saved by Jack Davis. Mirabito looked to end things late through the first overtime, but his shot from 20 feet out was saved by Hagelin.

The best chance - prior to Palmer's game-winner - for either team in the overtimes came midway through the third extra frame. Mirabito found space to shoot hard and low, but Hagelin stuck out his right foot to kick the attempt away and preserve the game for Loyola.

The game was the first time this season that Loyola has been outshot by its opponent. Georgetown, who entered the game ranked 10th in NCAA Division I with an 11.3 goals per game average, tallied 51 shots to Loyola's 35.

Schiavone was again solid at the face-off `X' for Loyola, winning 10-of-17 and picking up a team-high seven ground balls.

Sawyer led all players with three points on two goals and an assist. He also had a career-high six ground balls.

The Greyhounds return to Ridley Athletic Complex for their final home game of 2011 next Saturday when they host Hobart at 12 p.m. The game, which is also Senior Day for the Greyhounds, will be televised in the Baltimore area on WMAR/ABC-2 and nationally on