Defense Strong In Men's Lacrosse Win Over Towson

March 27, 2010

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Jake Hagelin made a season-high 15 saves, and the Loyola University Maryland defense put together another outstanding effort, as the 14th-ranked Greyhounds defeated Towson University, 7-6, on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action on Awalt Field at Ridley Athletic Complex.

Hagelin's final save, which left him one short of his career-high set in 2008 as a freshman, came with time expiring as Towson's Matt Lamon rocketed a shot that would have tied the game.

"Our defense did a good job of letting me see the ball today," Hagelin said. "They made Towson work for a lot of their shots, and they gave me a good lane to see things."

Loyola (5-2 overall) took a 7-3 lead on a broken play with 10:41 to play in the fourth quarter.

Taylor Ebsary cleared the ball for the Greyhounds and took a transition shot that was saved by Towson goalkeeper Travis Love.

The ball squirted out of the crease, however, and Collin Finnerty picked up the ground ball. He then finished with a low shot, beating Love for his game-high third goal.

Towson (1-5) mounted a comeback, however, scoring three times in the final 4:01.

Lamon scored on a Will Harrington assist to make it 7-5 in Loyola's favor, and Christian Pastirik delivered a goal 19 seconds later despite a solid hit from the Loyola defense.

Pat Britton then scored with 56 seconds remaining, drawing the Tigers within one.

The Tigers won the ensuing faceoff, but Michael Crimmins caused a turnover that Scott Ratliff picked up. After a failed Loyola clear, Towson had another possession in their offensive zone, but the Greyhounds forced a second turnover. Again, however, Loyola lost the ball in its end of the field, leading to Lamon's last second shot.

"The first thing I told the team was that you never take a win for granted," Loyola Head Coach Charley Toomey said. "But, there are a lot of things that we have to correct. We made too many mistakes today, and we cannot do that going forward."

Loyola finished the game with 19 turnovers, but eight came in the final quarter. The Greyhounds did, however, have a 36-28 advantage in ground balls and a 9-15 lead in faceoffs.

Finnerty scored the game's opening goal, on an extra-man opportunity, less than five minutes in.

Eric Lusby gave Loyola a 2-0 advantage with less than three minutes to go in the quarter, and Cooper MacDonnell took a Matt Langan pass and dodged his defender to score Loyola's third in a row 1:48 into the second quarter.

Lamon put Towson on the board with 8:30 to play in the quarter, but Finnerty answered with a goal for Loyola 40 seconds later.

Towson cut Loyola's halftime lead to 4-2 when Will Harrington scored 4:33 before the break.

The Tigers pulled to within a goal with 2:33 left in the third on a Brock Armour goal.

Loyola, however, went on a 3-0 run as Stephen Murray and Cooper MacDonnell scored goals' before Finnerty's third.

The Greyhounds wrap-up a four-game homestand on Saturday, April 3, when they host Ohio State in an ECAC Lacrosse League game at 2 p.m.