Two Hoyas Runs Make Difference As Georgetown Bests Men's Lax

March 18, 2015

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 1  | Photo Gallery 2 

BALTIMORE - Georgetown University used a 5-1 run during the first and second quarters and a 5-0 stretch during the second half to propel itself past Loyola University Maryland, 13-12, Wednesday night at Ridley Athletic Complex in non-conference action.

The Greyhounds (4-4 overall) took a 5-2 lead when Brian Begley picked up a ground ball off a Graham Savio faceoff win, raced into the box and scored his first career goal with 8:19 left in the first quarter. Begley's tally came just 10 seconds after Romar Dennis scored his first of the game with a split dodge and shot.

Georgetown (5-3), however, slowed the pace of the first quarter that saw seven total goals in less than seven minutes, and Bo Stafford tallied his third of the game with 15.7 seconds left in the stanza.

Gabriel Mendola won the ensuing faceoff for the Hoyas, and Reilly O'Connor fed Mendola crashing to the crease with less than two seconds left, and his goal pulled Georgetown within one, 5-4, entering the second quarter.

Craig Berge then had a step-down shot from the top with 11:39 left in the second quarter, tying the game at 5-5, but Tyler Albrecht answered for Loyola, scoring off a Brian Sherlock assist just 28 ticks later to put Loyola back in front.

The Hoyas, however, got goals by Berge and Stafford at 5:41 and 4:28 in the second, and they led 7-6 after Stafford's game-high fourth.

Zach Herreweyers and Nikko Pontrello played a two-man game at the top right later in the quarter to set up a Greyhounds score. Herreweyers set a screen for Pontrello who then reversed the ball right-to-left to Herreweyers who scored his first of the game at 2:02, sending the teams to halftime knotted at 7-7.

Loyola came out scoring in the second quarter as Dennis scored on an uncharastic slow shot after his stick was checked during his swing, but his attempt bounced in to give Loyola the lead at 12:34.

Sherlock scored his second at 8:45 off another Pontrello assist, and Loyola was up two, 9-7.

Georgetown, however, got a goal with 120 seconds left as Ryan Hursey used a Stafford feed, and then Eduardo White tallied his first of two second-half scores with just under a minute left, and the fourth quarter started with another tie score, 9-9.

Devon Lewis nosed Georgetown ahead with a goal 3:15 into the fourth, and Joe Bucci tallied back-to-back goals at 10:45 and 8:26, giving the Hoyas a 12-9 pad.

Albrecht scored on a one-timer off a Zack Sirico feed form behind at 5:33, and Herreweyers used a Sherlock assist 27 ticks of the clock later, closing the gap to one.

White, however, dropped his hands after catching an O'Connor pass to score from 9 yards in front of the goal, putting Georgetown ahead by two with 3:40 remaining in regulation.

Dennis matched his career-high (three) with a rocket off Pontrello's career-high tying fourth assist with 52.9 on the fourth-quarter clock, giving the Greyhounds life.

Savio won the faceoff to Sherlock, but a Pontrello shot went wide right, and the Hoyas backed up the shot to win possession back. Georgetown, however, could not clear the ball, but Loyola did not get the ball into its offensive zone, either, and the Hoyas held on for a 13-12 victory.

Sherlock matched his career-high with five points, scoring twice and dishing out a career-best three assists. Dennis and Albrecht each scored three times, and Herrweyers added a pair. Begley had two points with a goal and an assist, and Mike Perkins tallied his first goal of the season early in the first quarter.

Stafford led all players with four goals and six points, while Berge, Bucci and White each scored twice for the Hoyas, and O'Connor had four assists.

Loyola returns to Patriot League play on Saturday, March 21, with a 4:30 p.m. game at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania.