Saints Edge Loyola Men's Lacrosse In Low-Scoring Affair

March 18, 2008

Box Score

BALTIMORE - Siena broke a 3-3 halftime tie with two goals in the third quarter, and the Saints held Loyola to just one second-half goal, defeating the host Greyhounds, 5-4, in a non-conference game on Tuesday afternoon at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field.

Siena (4-2) took a 4-3 lead 2:23 into the second half, as Ryan Duggan took a pass from Mike Lashomb and scored.

Following a Loyola (3-3) penalty, Duggan fed a pass to Brendan Murphy who scored on the extra-man opportunity, giving Siena a 5-3 lead, it's largest of the game.

The Greyhounds pulled within a goal, 5-4, with 8:39 remaining as Taylor Ebsary scored off an assist by Shane Koppens.

Loyola had three shot attempts following that goal in an attempt to tie the game, but Siena goalkeeper Brent Herbst saved all three. Herbst finished with 16 saves in the game.

The Greyhounds forced three Siena turnovers, two on delay calls in the final two minutes, but Loyola had two turnovers itself in that span and did not get a shot attempt off after the Saints' final turnover with 18 ticks left on the clock.

Siena struck first, less than three minutes into the game, as Duggan took a pass from Kenny Mazzone and put the Saints ahead, 1-0.

Paul Richards evened the score at 1-1 with 7:36 remaining in the first quarter. A Siena shot by Shaun Dunn was saved by Loyola goalkeeper Jake Hagelin, and P.T. Ricci picked up the ground ball for the Greyhounds. He fed a clearing pass to Richards who went nearly coast-to-coast for the unassisted goal.

Loyola had two shots in the next six minutes from close range that did not go in, and Siena capitalized by regaining the lead, 2-1, on a Duggan goal, assisted by Bryan Hale, with 30 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

Duggan led all players with three goals and an assist.

Cooper MacDonnell tied the game at 2-2 on an unassisted goal 6:31 into the second quarter.

Loyola took its only lead of the game, 3-2, as Collin Finnerty scored off an assist from behind from Chris Hurst with 5:49 left before halftime.

The Greyhounds' lead lasted for less than two minutes, as Matt Firsh scored for Siena to tie the game at 3-3 heading to the locker room.

Loyola dominated face-offs in the game, winning 10-of-13. Tim McDermott was 9-of-11 on face-offs for the Greyhounds and tied with Ricci and MacDonnell for the team-lead with six ground balls.

The Greyhounds had 43 ground balls to Siena's 29, and Loyola also took more shots, 31-21.

Loyola resumes ECAC Lacrosse action on Saturday, March 22, when it takes on Massachusetts on the road at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on CN8.