No. 11 Notre Dame Rallies Past Men's Lacrosse In Season Opener

Feb. 17, 2007

Box Score

South Bend, Ind. - Loyola's men's lacrosse team opened the season with hard-fought 9-7 loss at No. 11 Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon. The Greyhounds, led by three multiple-goal scorers, saw a two-goal lead disappear over the final quarter and a half as the Irish scored the game's final four goals to escape with the win.

Seniors Dan Bauers, Patrick Kennedy and Greg Leonard scored two goals apiece, while senior Andrew Spack picked up seven groundballs in the loss. Sophomore Alex Peaty, making his first start in goal, finished with nine saves for the `Hounds.

After a false start on the opening face-off, Notre Dame immediately found the back of the cage with a goal only 38 seconds into the game. Peaty quickly settled and made several athletic saves to keep the Irish off the board until Loyola could counter.

The `Hounds finally got on the board and evened the game when Shane Koppens initiated a play from the behind the goal and found an open Greg Leonard in the crease. Leonard fired and scored the equalizer with 2:50 left in the first quarter.

Closing out the quarter on a strong note, Loyola took its first lead of the game when senior Patrick Kennedy scored off an assist from senior Cory Coffman with only six ticks on the clock.

Loyola made it three unanswered goals with Leonard's second of the game in the early stages of the second quarter. Notre Dame, however, came right back and after an extra-man goal at 7:35 of the quarter, the game was knotted at 3-3.

The Irish took the lead back at 5-4 off their second extra-man goal of the afternoon, but once again, Loyola closed out the quarter with a goal, scoring when Coffman fed Kennedy for his second tally of the game.

The Greyhounds used that momentum to open up a two-goal lead in the third quarter that began with Koppens first goal of the year at 8:45 of the stanza. On the same play, a slashing penalty on Notre Dame gave Loyola a one-minute man-up - and the `Hounds cashed in. Taking a feed from Ryan Rabidou, Bauers scored his second of the day and Loyola led 7-5.

A third-quarter rally from the Irish tied the game heading into the fourth quarter of play. As the defenses tightened up, the Greyhounds found themselves two men down, and Notre Dame capitalized with the go-ahead score with eight minutes left in regulation.

Loyola, 0-1 this season, returns to Baltimore for its home opener next Sunday. The Greyhounds host Towson in a game televised on MASN.