Howard Uses Second-Half Free-Throw Advantage To Defeat Loyola

Dec. 22, 2010

Final Stats

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Howard's Mike Phillips converted a three-point play with 48.5 seconds left to give the Bison their first lead of the second half and iced the game with a pair of free throws with nine seconds left to lift Howard to a 69-65 non-conference victory Wednesday night at Burr Gymnasium.

The Bison (2-8) went more than five minutes without a field goal, but managed to stay in the game with eight straight free throws before eventually taking a lead they would not relinquish on the Phillips three-point play. Down one, Loyola's Jamal Barney attempted a long three-pointer with 22 seconds left and the rebound resulted in a tied-ball with possession favoring Howard.

Howard's Anton Dickerson made a pair of free throws after being fouled with 14.7 ticks left and, after being fouled himself, senior guard Brian Rudolph made the first of a two-shot foul and Phillips grabbed the rebound to set up the game-icing free throws.

Twice in the first half the Greyhounds (4-7) seemed to seize control in the first half, building nine- and 10-point leads to hold a 39-31 halftime advantage. When Loyola scored the first six points of the second half, it held its largest lead of the game at 45-31 with 17:39 remaining and forcing Howard to call time out.

The Bison chipped away at their deficit, eventually tying the game at 54 with 6:47 remaining. Loyola scored six straight to lead 60-54 with 4:43 left. After a 14-footer from junior forward Shane Walker kept the Greyhounds' advantage at six with 3:12 remaining, Howard would score 13 of the game's final 16 points to earn its second victory of the season. After the intermission, it held a sizeable 19-5 advantage from the foul line, including 16 of its final 25 points.

For the Bison, Phillips finished with a game-high 19 points and a team-high seven rebounds. Dickerson tallied 15 points with four assists and Dadrian Collins scored 13. Kyle Riley chipped in with 11 points and three steals.

Freshman guard Justin Drummond led the Greyhounds in scoring for the second straight game with 17 points. Sophomore forward Erik Etherly collected his first career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while shooting a perfect four-for-four from the field. Barney added 10 points for Loyola, which committed 25 turnovers resulting in just seven Bison steals. The Greyhounds played with out starting point guard Dylon Cormier who is out for two-to-three weeks with an illness.

Taking a break for the holidays, the Greyhounds are back in action Tuesday night when they host Bucknell in Reitz Arena at 7 o'clock.