Walker, Olson Lead Greyhounds In Win At The Mount

Dec. 10, 2011

Box Score

View on a mobile device

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Shane Walker and Robert Olson combined for 39 points, and the Loyola University Maryland extended its school-record start to 8-1 this season with a 65-54 victory on Saturday afternoon at Mount St. Mary's University in the 167th meeting of the rivalry.

Olson scored 16 of his season-high 19 after the break, and Walker tallied 12 of his season-best 20 in the second half.

"This is a tremendous rivalry, one that our players enjoy playing and fans of both teams really get up for. It's so special because it started in 1910," Loyola Head Coach Jimmy Patsos said of the most played series in State of Maryland history. "Guys like Robert Olson who grew up just down (Interstate) 270 (in Bethesda, Md.) and was recruited by both schools know what this means."

Mount St. Mary's (1-8) scored the first points of the second half on a Julian Norfleet three, cutting Loyola's 33-26 lead to just four, but Olson came down on the next possession and knocked down a three for Loyola.

The basket started a stanza in which he made 5-of-8 shots and 4-of-5 free throws.

An Olson layup minutes later put Loyola up seven, and on the Greyhounds' next possession, Walker made a three from the top of the perimeter after Erik Etherly kicked a pass out from the post.

With Walker's three, Loyola led, 46-36, but Mount scored the next five points, three coming at 9:01 on a basket by Chad Holly from behind the arc.

Loyola's defense, however did not allow another Mount basket for nearly five minutes.

Olson made a back-door cut and scored off a Dylon Cormier pass, and Cormier then scored on Loyola's next possession.

Olson capped the modest 6-0 run by driving to the basket, making a layup and the ensuing free throw after he was fouled by Danny Thompson.

Holley had a traditional three-point play on Mount's next possession, but Olson put the Greyhounds up 12 again, 56-44, with a three at 3:23.

The Mountaineers cut Loyola's lead to seven with 1:56 to play on a pair of Norfleet free throws, but Olson sank a pair for Loyola four ticks of the clock later. The Greyhounds led by no less than nine for the rest of the game.

Mount St. Mary's came out of the locker room hard in the first half and led by as many as five, 13-8, on a Kelvin Parker jumper in the paint 7:32 in.

Olson, however, made a three in transition for Loyola on the next possession to cut the deficit to two. Loyola did not take the lead, however, until Walker made a pair of free throws with 6:50 to go.

Mount took the lead with just over two minutes to play before halftime, but Cormier scored two of his 12 first-half points on a layup, tying the score at 26-26. On the Greyhounds' next two possessions, Justin Drummond backed his man into the post and scored in the paint to put Loyola up four with 43 ticks on the clock.

Two missed free throws on The Mount's ensuing possession set up a chance for Loyola to take the final shot of the half. Walker came through, canning a three from the top of the arc four seconds before the buzzer.

In addition's to the 39 combined from Walker and Olson, Cormier tallied 15, and Drummond added nine. Anthony Winbush led Loyola with eight rebounds, while Walker had six.

Loyola will take the next week off for final examinations before traveling to Olean, N.Y., for a 2 o'clock game at St. Bonaventure University on Sunday, December 18.