Men's Basketball Rallies From 20 Down To Beat Coppin State, 73-70

Dec. 10, 2008

Box Score

BALTIMORE - Loyola's Jamal Barney scored 21 points, and Isaac Reid added a career-high 18, as the Greyhounds rallied from a 20-point first half deficit to defeat Coppin State, 73-70, on Wednesday night in a non-conference game.

The Eagles (1-5) led by as many as 20 with 6:20 to play in the first half, but Loyola (3-7) battled back and snapped its four-game losing skid.

Loyola trailed by 12, 49-37, with 13:21 to play, but Isaac Reid scored nine straight points, pulling the Greyhounds within three, 49-46, on a dunk with just under 11 minutes remaining.

The Eagles reeled off the next seven points, going ahead 56-46 on a Michael Harper jumper with 8:39 left. Brett Harvey and Jamal Barney made pairs of free throws on Loyola's next two possessions, making it a six-point game, 56-50.

Harvey knocked down a 3-pointer, his first field goal of the game, with slightly over seven minutes remaining after an Anthony Winbush steal, pulling Loyola within three, 58-55."Winbush did a great job on our press getting the trap and the steal and then he just kind of handed it to me in the corner," Harvey said of the shot. "I felt good and nobody was around me, so I set my feet and just let it fly."

On the Greyhounds' ensuing possession, Barney hit 1-of-2 at the line, making it a two-point game for the first time since the 14:15 mark in the first half.

Following a Coppin State turnover, Brian Rudolph drove the length of the floor before dishing a pass right-side to Barney who dunked to tie the score at 58-58 with 5:53 left.

Eddie Hayden made a pair of free throws for the Eagles, and Barney put in two more from the paint, tying the game at 60-60.

Winbush stole the ball on Coppin State's next possession and fed Harvey for another three, giving the Greyhounds' their first lead of the game, 63-60, with 4:21 left.

Reid made 1-of-2 from the line, and Winbush dunked a lob pass from Rudolph, extending Loyola's advantage to five, 67-62.

Tywain McKee rattled in a pair of free throws for the Eagles, making it a 67-64 Loyola lead.

He then sank a three from the top of the perimeter with 1:40 left, tying the score at 67-67.

Rudolph, however, found Winbush for another alley-oop dunk with 1:20 left, putting the Greyhounds back on top.

McKee had another answer, swishing a three from far behind the arc with a minute to go, putting the Eagles up, 70-69.

Winbush drove down the left side of the lane and slipped a pass to Barney who was fouled by Hayden. Barney made both foul shots, giving Loyola a 71-70 lead.

McKee missed a shot with three Loyola players collapsing on defense, and Winbush pulled down the rebound.

McKee finished with a game-high 28 points, making 6-of-9 threes.

Harvey made two free throws with 16 seconds left, for a three-point cushion, 73-70.

Michael Harper missed a six-foot jumper with two seconds left, and Loyola grabbed the board, securing the win.

Coppin State took a 6-6 tie with 14:44 to go in the first half and turned it into a 32-12 advantage 6:20 before the break.

The Greyhounds, however, slowly pared the Eagles' lead down, pulling within 11 at the break, 34-23, when Harvey lobbed a pass to a cutting Winbush who dunked it with 52 ticks left in the first half.

In addition to Barney's 21 and Reid's 18, J'hared Hall tied his career-best with 11 points. Harvey tallied 10, all coming in the second half, and Winbush scored eight.

Barney led all players with eight rebounds, as Loyola controlled a 41-25 advantage on the boards.

Rudolph had a season-high nine assists.

Loyola takes an 11-day break for semester exams before resuming play on December 21 with a 5 p.m. (EST) game at UC-Davis.