Mount St. Mary's Denies Men's Basketball Comeback Attempt

Dec. 6, 2014

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Loyola University Maryland hit 3-pointers on three-straight possessions with less than 10 minutes to play in regulation, cutting Mount St. Mary's University's lead to two with 7:33 remaining, but the Mountaineers quickly scored the next eight points to deny the comeback attempt en route to a 74-65 defeat of the Greyhounds Saturday night in Reitz Arena.

The Mount (2-4 overall) led 55-64 after a Taylor Danaher putback dunk with 10:17 remaining, but Eric Laster hit a three 40 seconds later for the Greyhounds.

Junior Robinson scored in the paint for the Mountaineers, but then Denzel Brito took an Andre Walker pass and hit a baseline three, and after blocking a shot at the defensive end, Franz Rassman made his second three of the game at 7:33, closing the gap to 57-55.

Byron Ashe, however, hit a three from the top left side for Mount St. Mary's, sparking a Mountaineers' 8-0 run, Loyola (3-5) would not draw closer than six in the game's final six minutes.

The Greyhounds made a season-high 11 3-poitners, hitting 57.9 percent of their 19 shots from behind the arc, but Mount St. Mary's shot 51.9 percent overall and scored 42 of its points in the paint.

Ashe scored 16 points off the bench to lead The Mount, while Kristijan Krajina added 12, and Gregory Graves scored 10. Graves grabbed nine rebounds, and Krajina had eight to help Mount St. Mary's to a 34-29 rebounding advantage.

Laster and Tyler Hubbard both scored 14 points, and Cam Gregory had his first collegiate double-double with 10 rebounds and a season-high 11 points.

The teams got off the quick starts, combining for 29 points in the game's first five minutes, 29 seconds. The lead changed hands 15 times and was tied on six occasions before The Mount took the lead for good with 2:05 left before halftime.

Loyola is back in action on Tuesday night when it travels to Philadelphia for a 7 o'clock game at Saint Joseph's University.