Siena Thwarts Furious Men's Basketball Comeback, Hands Loyola 75-68 Loss

Dec. 3, 2008

Box Score

BALTIMORE - After Loyola tied the game at 54 with 7:26 remaining in the game, Siena went on a 14-2 run over the next 4:30 to go up by 12 and the Saints held off a late rally to escape Reitz Arena with a 75-68 win in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener Wednesday night at Reitz Arena.

After trailing by as many as 11 in the early minutes of the second half, Loyola made its run. The Greyhounds cut the deficit to three, 51-48, on a coast-to-coast lay-in by junior guard Brett Harvey with just under 11 minutes to play. Then, a Barney layup in the paint trimmed the Saints lead to 52-50 at the nine-minute mark.

Loyola (2-6, 0-1 MAAC) tied up the game at 54 on a right-corner jumper from senior forward Brad Farrell with 7:20 left to play.

But Siena, the 2008 MAAC Champions, went on its 14-2 run to push its lead back to double digits, 68-56, with less than three minutes to play. Five different players scored for the Saints (3-3, 1-0 MAAC) during the run. Alex Franklin, who had a game-high 21 points, chipped in four free throws during the stretch. The Saints also got a pair of buckets from Edwin Ubiles during the run, who finished with 20.

Loyola closed within five points when sophomore guard Brian Rudolph put in two of his six points on a layup with 29 ticks remaining, making it 71-66. Siena, though, got a Franklin layup the next trip down the floor.

"We played tough and Siena's experience really helped them tonight," Greyhounds fifth-year coach Jimmy Patsos said. This is how you get good - by playing good teams. I believe in our young players because they are the future of our program."

The Saints took a 36-28 lead into intermission. Sophomore forward Isaac Reid had nine points and four rebounds for Loyola in the first half, while Barney chipped in eight points and seven boards. The Greyhounds pulled within one, 22-21, on a Barney lay in with just under seven minutes left in the first, but Siena closed on a 14-7 run.

Barney finished with a career-high 10 rebounds and his first career double-double with his 20 points. Harvey added 15 while Reid scored all nine of his points in the first half. Loyola's bench outscored their counterparts, 23-8, for the game and the Greyhounds won the rebounding battle, 38-28.

Loyola continues home conference play on Sunday at noon against Niagara in Reitz Arena.