Siena Rallies For 81-71 Win Over Men's Basketball

Nov. 29, 2014

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Siena College outscored Loyola University Maryland, 13-3, in the game's final 2:23, and the Saints left Reitz Arena with an 81-71 victory over the Greyhounds on Saturday night despite Tyler Hubbard's career-high 23 points and near-record effort from the free-throw line.

Hubbard made two of his 17 free throws with 2:46 left to tie the game for the 10th time, 66-66, but Ryan Oliver made the first of his two late 3-pointers 21 ticks later to put Siena (2-2 overall) up for good.

Oliver hit the first from the top left of the perimeter, and Lavon Long then scored in the paint on the Saints' next possession to give Siena a 71-66 lead. Oliver then converted from the right baseline with 1:23 left, pushing the margin to eight.

Hubbard was fouled by Rob Poole on a 3-point attempt with 1:13 remaining and made all three of the foul shots to draw Loyola within five, but Siena would hold the Greyhounds without a basket for the next 70 seconds while putting the game out of reach.

Hubbard was 17-of-18 from the free-throw line in the game. His 17 free-throws made were one short of tying the Loyola school record of 18 set in 2009 by Jamal Barney. His 18 attempts are tied for eighth most in school single-game history.

His 23 points eclipsed his previous high of 21 set just four nights ago at Syracuse University.

In addition to Hubbard's 23 points, Eric Laster scored 14, Denzel Brito had 11 and Andre Walker added 10 for the Greyhounds. Cam Gregory scored eight points and had a team-high seven rebounds.

Brett Bisping led Siena with 16 points and seven rebounds, and Poole made 9-of-10 from the free-throw line for the Saints and finished with 15.

Siena built a 14-8 lead in the game's first six minutes, but Loyola scored the next seven points to take a 15-14 advantage on a Brito three.

Maurice White tied the game at 20-20 with 5:42 left in the first half, but Loyola took a 35-28 advantage with two seconds left in the frame on two Walker free throws. Siena, however, made it a five-point Loyola (2-4) lead at the break, when Evan Hymes took a deflected long pass and scored at the buzzer.

Siena cut the Greyhounds' advantage to three, 41-38, on a Marquis Wright three 2:55 into the second half, but Loyola quickly stretched it back to nine, 47-38, on a traditional 3-point play by Laster with 14:02 remaining.

The saints scored 10 of the next 12 points, however, and it was a 49-48 Loyola lead after a Hymes layup with 11:09 left on the clock.

Loyola lead one, 55-54, when three technical fouls were assessed after a scrum under the Siena basket. The Greyhounds were charged with two, and the Saints received one, and Poole gave Siena a 56-55 lead with the free throw after the calls at 6:05.

Poole, however, would be called with an offensive foul and technical foul on the ensuing Siena possession, and Hubbard swung the lead back to Loyola by making four-straight free throws at 5:57.

After that, the lead changed hands three times, and the game was tied on three other occasions.

Loyola outrebounded Siena, 32-27, but the Saints forced 14 Loyola turnovers, nine in the second half. Siena committed just six turnovers.

The Greyhounds return to action on Tuesday night from New York City where they will face Columbia University at 7 p.m. on the Lions' home floor.